I suggested already to start collecting submissions, as there is no need to wait with *starting* it, until next Council arrive - after all, new Council is going to decide winners, not necessary open collecting submissions.

IMO; due to specific nature of Community Awards, it should be done with following rules:

1) self submissions only - it's not beauty contest. Submissions via mailing list - transparency.

2) submissions without reasoning - Community Awards are for things done already, and people deserving device well-known. I see no problem with Council mentioning recognized people's deeds, but I don't think it's necessary for submitting people to sing hymns about own deeds while submitting

SD69, what about that? Considering that this activity is mostly organized by Council (but devices thanks to Nokia and qgil, it's up to You to decide, if we can start getting submissions now.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
If only someone would port Google Sky Map for Harmattan. I'd give over 9,000 votes for such kind developer..

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
self submissions only
Doesn't this favor the extroverts compared to the introverts? Introverts are already in disadvantage since their contributions tend to be less self-evident.

(I know the world is not divided in extroverts and introverts - it's just to make a point here).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
Doesn't this favor the extroverts compared to the introverts? Introverts are already in disadvantage since their contributions tend to be less self-evident.

(I know the world is not divided in extroverts and introverts - it's just to make a point here).
I tend to agree with Bauer more on that point....
http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...il/005223.html
But I can also kinda see what Estel's getting at...

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-05-21 at 18:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:

I think that's a very valid point here.

Furthermore, doesn't it give the spirit of a "Community Award" more away when the candidates are proposed by the community instead of by themselves? In the end, this is not about "who can scream loudest" but rather about who is respected and appreciated in the community.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Well

You can count me on...

My biggest interest is help The brave person who will port Frozen Bubble to N9/N950 like Rainisto did with Live-F1. Those are the two softwares i suggested for this list.

And, also developing MeeCast "add-on", which i named SaveCast and allready started working on... (SC collects information on the history of MeeCast of selected weather-station and more etc). Vlad allready know this "history-idea" but does not have time to implement.

I know there is very little change to us newbies get in to the top of the top of the top devs, who will always get those goodies but it does not matter.

Final words, N9 is not dead!

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

Last edited by catbus; 2012-05-21 at 22:25.

The Following User Says Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:

Yeah, there are many guys working out the 'gears', providing new ways for others to enjoy and contribute. Even if they never log on talk.maemo, a submission 'This guy provided 46 -dev packages that are being used by everyone compiling ... since 6 months ago'. Giving those people new toys (even if they are unaware of the contest actually taking place, if they refuse to accept, nothing lost, next in line gets a chance) might be much healthier to the community than to biggest wallets (with second and 'owned' at the same time, nothing bad in having some extra cash, n9 owners will not be stopped from ebaying the extra 1 I hope)

Last edited by szopin; 2012-05-21 at 22:23. Reason: typo

Hm, I was thinking, that it will also helps introverts - after all, if it's allowed to nominate someone else, introverts tend to wait until they get nominated by 3rd party. We've seen this happen with submitting as candidates for Council.

On the other hand, if only self-submissions are allowed, everyone know- from the very beginning - that either she/he submit, or is out of business. Maybe it's just me, but IMO it's easier approach for the shy contributors.

On the other hand, we're also saving situation of "please nominate me", or anger/disappointment, when certain people that we expect would nominate us, doesn't do so.

I think that self-nominating is more transparent and better at saving us any "bad blood".

/Estel

// Edit

Of course it's just my 2 cents - if majority thinks otherwise, I'm all ok with different approach.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Hm, I was thinking, that it will also helps introverts - after all, if it's allowed to nominate someone else, introverts tend to wait until they get nominated by 3rd party. We've seen this happen with submitting as candidates for Council.

On the other hand, if only self-submissions are allowed, everyone know- from the very beginning - that either she/he submit, or is out of business. Maybe it's just me, but IMO it's easier approach for the shy contributors.

On the other hand, we're also saving situation of "please nominate me", or anger/disappointment, when certain people that we expect would nominate us, doesn't do so.

I think that self-nominating is more transparent and better at saving us any "bad blood".

/Estel

// Edit

Of course it's just my 2 cents - if majority thinks otherwise, I'm all ok with different approach.
That's a very interesting point of view. I never thought of it that way. Maybe go with both options, self nomination and proposed nomination by third persons?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
I suggested already to start collecting submissions, as there is no need to wait with *starting* it, until next Council arrive - after all, new Council is going to decide winners, not necessary open collecting submissions.

IMO; due to specific nature of Community Awards, it should be done with following rules:

1) self submissions only - it's not beauty contest. Submissions via mailing list - transparency.

2) submissions without reasoning - Community Awards are for things done already, and people deserving device well-known. I see no problem with Council mentioning recognized people's deeds, but I don't think it's necessary for submitting people to sing hymns about own deeds while submitting

SD69, what about that? Considering that this activity is mostly organized by Council (but devices thanks to Nokia and qgil, it's up to You to decide, if we can start getting submissions now.

/Estel
I'm fine with starting to collect submissions now and let new council decide how to make the awards. I would permit both self-nominations as well as nominations of others while making it clear that the awards are based on the stated criteria and the manner of nomination has no effect on the award decision.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post: