Active Topics

Hello there.

Seems strange that Maemo still hasn't got an application for public transit hints which would work offline, with optionally using your GPS.

Say, just like Metró on S60, or (yuck) Windows mobile. This beautiful piece of software saved me once hours in Poznań, Poland.

It's quite crazy to assume that a casual traveller would happily hook to HSDPA/GPRS while roaming. A kilobyte while roaming is golden, if not platinum, in terms of pricing.

It's even more crazy to assume I'd stare at a detailed map when I'm taking buses and trams which know their route anyway.

And there's not a sight of a working application which would tell me those things:

1. I'm in city X, standing on stop Y. Which lines do I take to go the shortest route to Z?

2. The same setup, but I'm not at the stop. Which ones are there near to where I'm standing? (Metró doesn't have it, by the way)

3. I don't know a particular destination stop, but I know how the street is called. I punch it in and get my route, all with timing if available.

4. I'm standing at a stop, and want to see what is going to arrive and depart within 10 minutes, and where it all goes.

And, mind you, none of these things requiring an internet connection, with a little GPS at most.

Do you know anything decent which has it all and does not make it overly complicated to feed your own transport database? I'd even accept it being command-line, I just want it to work.

The Following User Says Thank You to jafd For This Useful Post:

Tags
maemo, transit