Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
I was surfing the Nokia USA site (wishful thinking / hoping for Rover announcement...) and I came across the Trade-Up program.

Has anyone had any experience with it?

Now for the weirdness...

All options being =

The N800 is valued at $53...

The N810 is.... $0?

I knew my N800 was better...

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
First of all, have you noticed the N810 is no longer listed as product in the US nokia site? I have noticed it for a couple of weeks. So N810 is officially reaching EOL status. You can still find them in other nokia sites.

bun

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 137 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Boone, IA
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
First of all, have you noticed the N810 is no longer listed as product in the US nokia site? I have noticed it for a couple of weeks. So N810 is officially reaching EOL status. You can still find them in other nokia sites.

bun
Yep, I did notice that.

I just thought it odd that the 2nd generation(N800) @ EOL+year(s) had a trade-in value while the 3rd generation(N810) @ EOL, does not...

N800 (retired...soon to eBay)
Favorite Apps: CommunitySSU,DiabloTurbo, Flipclock, Keepnote, Dialcentral, Gizmo5 ,MediaBox/pyFMradio, Telescope,Diablo5 theme, Tear, Personal Menu/Launcher, OMWeather,Blubbels, Advanced Power/Backlight...now to play with Garnet6...

Posts: 367 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Brooklyn, NY
that sucks since I think the n810 is better than the n800 with the redesign and hardware keyboard. they do realize that the reason why a lot of n800 owners did not upgrade to the n810 was due to the fact it is the same on the inside. its their fault. At least they should of bump the specs up a little to spice it. That is why I don't understand why they seem to be giving up on the n810 but, that's ok. other companies won't mind picking up the slack and make a model just like it but, better. oh well.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I doubt anybody would come out with anything that'll pick up the slack. MID's are a bust, even Intel is getting stung with lower than expected sales. Netbooks are the "now" hot thing, but even that will become saturated soon enough.

And handheld machines with last generation browser specs/abilities and other maladies will not be able to compete.

Nokia screwed the pooch with this one, imho. I love my N810, I skipped the N800 and have an 770. And this further seals the deal. Same internals, marginal support, horrible trade-in process - zero if you're a N810 owner - infuriates me.

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
isn't that why they are going the phone route.....
- there are a few smartphones being sold.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
...Netbooks are the "now" hot thing, but even that will become saturated soon enough.
I have reservation about the netbook. I look at myself. I am a media guy, audio and video and that is it. My desktop PC are all heavy duty entertainment centers. I have since slowly phased out desktops to laptops and since then I have also purchased several netbooks. I cannot think of what a desktop can do and a laptop cannot. I have home theatre setup and invested a bit on audio equipment. So far, everything has been USB-ed. I used TurtleSound for the 5 channel audio output (I cannot tell the difference of 7 channels) and couple of cheap USB HDTV tuner, I have numerous USB harddisk. They all plugged into netbook,laptop on and off and output to hifi equipment and connected to projector. I do not see the necessity of using a big heavy duty desktop nowaday. I will not buy any more desktops. Laptop is also going to be phased out in my family. Netbook is what I am doing for its size and $

bun

Although I like netbooks, their performance for Photoshop, Flash, Flex and AfterEffects stop me short each time.

My laptop is business mostly, my net enabled devices (OQO and N810) are for when I don't want to boot up and open my laptop while traveling.

And my desktop(s), they're business mostly too. But I know I'm still going to have to simplify my home network something fierce, electricity bill is killer.

[QUOTE=gerbick;298313... But I know I'm still going to have to simplify my home network something fierce, electricity bill is killer.[/QUOTE]

I have never pay attention to the electricity bill regarding computer use. Did you really notice several computers, 24/7, eat a lot of electricity? I do notice the computer makes a room warm and is a problem during hot summer, but feels good during the ice cold winter. If you have some estimate, that may make me having a 2nd thought of leaving computer's' 24/7.

bun

Right now, due to contractual agreements, I have 8 servers with accompanying RAID arrays (this is new), two main PC's, two Macs, two laptops, three UPS (2 are new) and my electricity bill has gone up - the heat in my computer room alone has also gone up - during the Summer nonetheless.

It's not a massive amount adding to my bill - about 40-45 extra due to cooling costs too - but for a year, that's over 500.00 a year extra at this current rate. Perhaps Winter will require less heat though but right now we're looking at record temps here soon.

Keeping my machines on 24/7 - two main PC's and two Macs - really were offset the moment I rewired the majority of the house and used more "green" methods for external lighting and internal lighting - all florescent now - and my bill last year was 20-40 less a month. Once I get my solar panels up and fully running, and my windmill (yet to purchase), I anticipate another lowering of my bills perhaps.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: