Active Topics

Hey everyone,

i rebooted my N900 5 minutes ago and on the NOKIA logo screen there was written "System Malfunction Shutdown in 10s" in the green font like when you have R&D enabled. The n900 shut down during the boot as i turned it back on again everything worked fine.

Do i have to worry about my phone or has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

CrckMc

The Following User Says Thank You to CrckMc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
I've not seen that, no. I wouldn't worry about it unless it reoccurs though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
That seems to come from /sbin/preinit if /sbin/getbootstate returns "MALF" (well, any unexpected value really but that's the only one I can see with strings(1) that isn't handled). Beyond that, without source, your guess is as good as mine...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Just had this today.
Played a lot in extras-devel, played with the hosts file in \etc.

It seemed to be connected with the charging process...

Everyhting works fine anyway

The Following User Says Thank You to Bec For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,339 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Israel

I had this problem the other day. I was getting angry with the fact i could no longer download any appplications due to having a full rootfs so i decided i was gonna try and clean it up manualy. i gained root *Woops* then did rm -f /usr/lib/* . seemed to have worked ok then i tryed to boot some applications they started to load but then disapeared. i then paniced thought opps why did i have to do that and restarted at this point i was faced with the dreaded
System Malfunction!
device shutdown in 10s!.

it would then reboot repeatedly until battary ran out.

SOLUTION!!!!!-!!!WOOT WOOT !!!

1.Find somebody with either the same phone n900 or the nokia x5800 or go buy an external charger to charge your battery for your phone.

i didnt belive these next 2 statements untill i tryed it.

Your n900 is unable to charge your battery in this state!!

You are unable to flash your phone with less then over half a battery!!!

2. Once you have charged your battery remove it and sit it on your side.

Prepare your computer for a re-flashing the n900.

3.You must install flasher 3.5. There are tutorials for installing this to windows linux and mac on this site.
3.1.Download and install the latest version of Flasher e.g.
maemo_flasher-3.5_2.5.2.2.exe

4.Download the firmware for your n900 save this in a memorable place.

Connecting your phone to computer.

5.With the battery still removed hook your computer up to the n900 using the usb data cable.

Running flasher "haha" 3.5

6. Run the flashing application on computer. Like i said befor i will post the exact details when i get home

This application will stop and say its waiting to find the device that you want to flash.

Back to the phone
7.now with your phone all ready plugged into the computer open the keyboard and hold the "u" button and insert the battery while holding the "u" button. keep holding the u button untill you can see a very faint usb sign in the top right of the screen. This will put the phone into flashing mode aka R&D mode.

Warning you can not enter R&D mode with little battery must be full or nearly full.

The computer should then recognize your n900 and start to do stuff wait for this to finish. on my computer it only took 1 minuet 30 seconds ruffley. but be patiant dont rush it dont stop half way through dont unplugg make sure it has completly stoped before unplugging.

reboot the n900 walla

You may find that your sim card is no longer recognised do not panic this is just because you need to update your n900 . Do this by either connecting to wireless lan at your home and using the app manager update accross the internet or plugging the phone into the computer and using the nokia suite to update it over the internet. The latter i have not tested.

i hope this will help every one and could maybe become a basis for a flashing tutorial on this site. as i had to find all this infprmation all over the place.

Last edited by jamie721; 2010-03-24 at 15:02. Reason: needs updating with more information

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jamie721 For This Useful Post:
i guess you could create a wiki?

Originally Posted by di1in View Post
i guess you could create a wiki?
could u possible point me in the direction of were i should host it and were i can start it. i keep hereing every one talking about doing wikis but i dont no were to find them?

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by jamie721 View Post
could u possible point me in the direction of were i should host it and were i can start it. i keep hereing every one talking about doing wikis but i dont no were to find them?
Please see wiki.maemo.org.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
ummm already a wiki for this which has been there forever

http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_t...#N900_.28XP.29

and if you have issues flashing. read how i overcame my problems.
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34983

Tags
boot, boot error, boot message, error, error message, fremantle, green error, green message, maemo, maemo 5, power on, power on error, power on message, shutdown in 10s, startup, startup error, startup message, system malfunction