Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Why didn't you try my workaround?
Didn't need to, I just used cron at 3am to release the memory leak caused by the bug. This workaround has now been disabled.

The whole point of the thread was to locate a solution to the issue, which I think I have found after removing/installing packages from extras to diagnose. If I used a semi-permanent workaround I wouldn't be able to see the bug and what it does to diagnose it.

Due to my noticing stopping mce kills the bug I linked this with diagnosing it. I suspect it's the lens cover reminder app but I want to prove it properly before spreading FUD.

Also as I have mentioned before it's best to use "dsmetool -k" to kill hildon* just in case it doesn't recover correctly.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Last edited by sixwheeledbeast; 2013-09-13 at 12:05. Reason: typo

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
So oddly it's been a year and one day since the OP.

I don't wish to curse it but I now have ~5 days of uptime with no hildon-home bug; after many years of suffering.

It seems the issue was a widget after all. I have not 100% diagnosed which one but I recently removed custom-operator-name-widget, psswitcher and camera-lens-reminder plus a few others.

I made the discovery that some python widgets seems to leak into h-h, obviously this isn't ideal. Seems best to avoid python based widgets until I can reproduce which is the culprit on my test device.

Reading all of this bug report I found by chance, helped with diagnosing this.

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8723

I removed the packages above with

Code:
apt-get remove --purge foo
After that I made sure I had a clean version of packages that had been showing high CPU in top, just incase.

Code:
apt-get install --reinstall hildon-home hildon-desktop hildon-status-menu tracker mce dbus
Hopefully I can pin this down to one or two applications but it nice to be free of killing hildon-home every 2 days.
In my case hildon-home bug appeared right after some cssu update ( I think I upgraded to thumb). I started removing widgets from desktop but it didn't help. Then I noticed that the operator name widget which installed itself with upgrade to thumb was refeshing it self. Conky was showing hildon-home in top processes tab every 3-5 s. I think it was custom-operator-name-widget.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by madry72 View Post
In my case hildon-home bug appeared right after some cssu update ( I think I upgraded to thumb). I started removing widgets from desktop but it didn't help. Then I noticed that the operator name widget which installed itself with upgrade to thumb was refeshing it self. Conky was showing hildon-home in top processes tab every 3-5 s. I think it was custom-operator-name-widget.
Did you report this to someone because it's been in CSSU Testing for a while now.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
custom-operator-name-widget, psswitcher and camera-lens-reminder plus a few others.
custom-operator-name-widget is now part of the default CSSU-T, and has been for a while AFAIK. And I've used camera-lens-reminder for some time (over a year) without this issue. But then I also don't use the camera that often.

I could also be that it is one of the above, but the leak only happens in certain conditions (eg, when you change service areas often, or use the camera a lot and/or leave the lens open.) So, take all of that with a grain of salt.

Memory leaks and odd behavior are a bear to track down, especially in plugins. I had something corrupting my message bd monthly until I figured out that having Nokia's own messaging widget was causing it by rifling through/locking the db based on a dbus message at the same time the notifier and/or conversations app was trying to do the same. :P Would occasionally cause the whole IM/SMS/E-mail system to deadlock until h-h was killed.

Good luck and thanks for taking the time to try at least.

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
As said earlier, for me it was/is the DECW...

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature