Closed Thread
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
It's just asking you what menu you want to put the menu icons in, not where you want to put the applications physically

Originally Posted by qole View Post
It's just asking you what menu you want to put the menu icons in, not where you want to put the applications physically
OK, Great! Thanks for the quick response.

Bill

Hi qole,

Is it possible to repartition a SD card using the tablet. I don't have a SDHC card reader? Or can you provide a download link to the image file so I can download it and place it on my existing device memory which is over 3GB free?

Thanks
Manni

Hi there! Thanks so much for this incredible work!

Two questions:

- Is there a way to input numbers within IceWM using the N810 keyboard?
- Is there another/simpler way to add Applications to the Hildon menu other than:

Making a menu icon for Debian apps

As root, copy an existing .desktop menu icon file.
Code:
cp /usr/share/applications/hildon/mplayer.desktop /usr/share/applications/hildon/abiword-deb.desktop
Edit the new .desktop file to look something like this (Changing the name, etc. of course):

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Debian AbiWord
Exec=/usr/bin/debbie abiword
Icon=qgn_list_btno_gen_computer
X-Osso-Type=application/x-executable
X-HildonDesk-ShowInToolbar=true
Also, how do you add the proper app icon to be display in the hildon menu?

Thanks a lot!

Max

I did not know chroot, just now read some about it and am still curious as to how all this works. Is OS2008 in use at all when running deb? If not does that mean that deb could be the sole os? if so then why was os200n (maemo) invented?

This is PURE OWNAGE! Cold Blooded ownage.

And no, its not slow. Its very fast. Applications don't feel like they have been ported. They run like they were meant to run natively.

Which makes me think, why did nokia ever come up with maemo. And if they did, why didn't they try to port the entire linux to maemo instead of having community develop applications from ground up. Its like re-inventing the wheel.

I am still surprised how easy it is to install new applications. Very cool.

The shift key doesn't work right now but this is way way cool to complain about any thing. I do wish that you upload the deb to garage.maemo so its easy to find as times goes.

THis is very cool. And the best thing is nothing has changed on the original maemo. Nothing breaks there. That entire piece is untouched and suddenly we have the entire power of linux at our hands.

Now I only need to figure how to run matlab on this (That would be slow!)

Thanks for this pioneering work (every one who has been involved in this ladder, and biggest thanks to Qole for the final HUGE HUGE leap!)

I hope and wish that maemo goes in this direction. There is no need of developing new applications. All they need to do is some how port the entire linux.

Originally Posted by Maxoueb View Post
Hi there! Thanks so much for this incredible work!

Two questions:

- Is there a way to input numbers within IceWM using the N810 keyboard?
- Is there another/simpler way to add Applications to the Hildon menu other than:

Also, how do you add the proper app icon to be display in the hildon menu?

Thanks a lot!

Max

There is one really easy way. Use personal menu application for maemo. It basically lets you create your own personal menu. All configuration (really simple) is graphical. You can specify your own command lines to run and it lets you select icons etc.

I use personal menu for giving me an easy shortcut to run one of my scripts that I use for running bluetooth PAN on diablo.

I would think that any application (example sillypoker ), you can just create the shortcut as 'sudo debian hilda sillypoker' in your personal menu.

In fact, is this true that applications will run faster by running from within plain vanila hildon vs running from within IceWM? (Just because of the over head of extra processes like taskbar, clock, monitor applets and various other desktop related processes).

The Following User Says Thank You to ponkwillis For This Useful Post:
ok so i installed the old debian installer from you, and then when this came out i uninstalled the .deb and deleted the image file. now this debian installs but does not run. when i load debian in chroot i get the following: Setting up the chroot...
ls: /media/mmc2/debian*.img*: No such file or directory
using image file: /media/mmc1/debian.img.ext2
insmod: cannot insert '/mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/mbcache.ko': File exists (-1): File exists
Using ext2 file system
insmod: cannot insert '/mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/ext2.ko': File exists (-1): File exists
mount: mounting /dev/loop0 on /debian failed
mount: mounting /dev on /debian/dev failed
mount: none is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: mounting none on /debian/dev/pts failed
mount: mounting /tmp on /debian/tmp failed
mount: /media/mmc1 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: mounting /media/mmc1 on /debian/media/mmc1 failedmount: /media/mmc2 is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: mounting /media/mmc2 on /debian/media/mmc2 failedmount: /media/usb is write-protected, mounting read-onlymount: mounting /media/usb on /debian/media/usb failed
cp: cannot stat '/debian/etc/resolv.conf': Permission denied
cp: cannot stat '/debian/etc/hosts': Permission denied
cp: cannot stat '/debian/etc/group': Permission denied
cp: cannot stat '/debian/etc/passwd': Permission denied
cp: cannot stat '/debian/etc/pointercal.default': Permission denied
cp: cannot stat '/debian/etc/pointercal': Permission denied
Everything set up, running chroot...
[I have no name!@Debian: /]
please help me

Also it would be nice if we could choose a bigger space for installing extra applications. Mine shows about 185 megs free. I want to dedicate more space (around 500 megs more) to debian. Is that possible?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Hi guys, you're starting to ask fairly advanced questions now. If you want to make a bigger image file or download the image file to a non-standard location, you're going to have to roll up your sleeves, pop the hood, and start tinkering with the scripts. If you want to do that stuff, it would be best if you went to the other advanced thread. That one has lots of answers to these fairly technical questions.

I was going to post a direct link to the image file, but it seems that my host is down. I hope we didn't bring it down with downloads of the Debian image!

Closed Thread

Tags
debian, easy debian, obsolete