I've followed the various tutorials and managed to get the N800 cloned onto a 4gb SDHC card. The instructions are pretty straight forward and having a bit of experience with linux helped.

Anyway I can't seem to find out how to modify the bootloader on the N800 to boot from partition 1 of the SD card and not two.

The bootmenu.conf resides on /mnt/initfs but the problem is that it is read only so I can't change the script and add my own. There must be someway of doing it.

Can someone please help me.

Here's what you can do.

Boot it up from the internal flash.

Become root then

mount -o remount,rw /dev/root /mnt/initfs

and then edit bootmenu.conf

then reboot

The Following User Says Thank You to ac000 For This Useful Post:
Thank you, thank you soooooooooo much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will try now and let you know what happens.

Once again thank you sooo much!!!!!! It works just booted of memory card!!!!!

Can I just restrore from my backup even though it was made from the internal memory? it's about 1.5mb and has to download apps of net to install.

BTW I also have a little mouse cursor on my N800, pretty cool!!

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
What is the adv of booting to partition 1? And I am also interest to see what change to accomplish that? Thanks,

bun

Originally Posted by bunanson View Post
What is the adv of booting to partition 1? And I am also interest to see what change to accomplish that? Thanks,

bun
More of a personal choice, i wanted the whole os2008 on a single 4GB memory card with just a single partition.

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
Can I just restore from my backup even though it was made from the internal memory? it's about 1.5mb and has to download apps of net to install.

BTW I also have a little mouse cursor on my N800, pretty cool!!
What do you mean? Do you want to backup the internal SD card to the external card?

If that was the case; here is how you do it (the example for n800)

Assume you have formatted partitions on the external SD.

1. boot from flash, not from mmc1 or mmc2.

2. insmod so the n800 can see ext2:

insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/mbcache.ko
insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/ext2.ko

( for ext3 : ext3.ko jbd.ko )

3. mount the partitions:

mount /dev/mmcblk0px /floppy
mount /dev/mmcblk1py /opt

x: in your case maybe 1 the partition number in source sd

4. tar it! /floppy is the source /opt is target

tar cf - -C /floppy . | tar xvf - -C /opt

5. umount them

umount /opt
umount /floppy

6. Done! You have cloned the internal to the external

nhanquy what I meant was I have a backup of the N800 when I was running it from the internal flash memory. Now that I am running it from the internal SD card it won't cause any problems will it.

Anyway I restored using that back and all is fine now. However I should not that if the system is updated over the air (OTA) then this removes the bootmenu. You just need to initfs again, and in my case change the partition to number 1 and not 2.

Posts: 678 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ San Jose CA
Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
nhanquy what I meant was I have a backup of the N800 when I was running it from the internal flash memory. Now that I am running it from the internal SD card it won't cause any problems will it.

Anyway I restored using that back and all is fine now. However I should not that if the system is updated over the air (OTA) then this removes the bootmenu. You just need to initfs again, and in my case change the partition to number 1 and not 2.
You should always run from the SD not from flash from now on.
Even the OTA occurs it only affects the SD not flash and therefore bootmenu will never be deleted and you still have option to go back to flash as a known stable state. Once awhile, you can update apps in flash when booting from flash but never update it when the OTA attemps to update the kernel and such.... Even with backups, it takes too much time to restore...