Active Topics

Poll: 2007HE or 2008HE
Poll Options
2007HE or 2008HE

I dont know whether to upgrade to OS2008HE from OS2007HE on my 770. I was wondering if you more advanced users could help me make a decision. I would like to know which one is more stable but has the most features. I use my tablet mostly for internet browsing and as a remote for Media Center and PhoneLink.

Thanks, Avery

Posts: 880 | Thanked: 264 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
I opted for 2007HE because, just at the moment, it's the more robust choice. Maybe diablo-HE will become a reality and then I'd take that. I'm using Fanoush's high speed MMC kernel, his initfs and the OS in on half of a 1GB MMC card.

I heart 2008HE. I don't know which is quicker speed-wise, but just having the sexy interface and the ability to play with the latest files/programs wins for me. It does have its problems though, no sound is a big one, but it's pretty stable once you kill metalayer-crawler with fire.

Bunanson has listed some of the working programs here http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=20161 and I have to agree that Maemo Mapper is super speedy on 2008HE.

I have been using it on standard internal flash, so I will have to follow speculatrix and try it on mmc with the high speed kernel, as I also have a 1GB mmc.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Edmonton, AB, Canada
I'm with Atarii, I like 2008HE. But since it is quite bad for media playing (you can hear sound with headphones, but the playback is not all that great), I have both OS2007HE and OS2008HE installed in a 2GB card, using Fanoush's kernel (I have OS2006 in the internal flash for charging , as it is the only one that detects when the battery is full, and I like that ;-)).

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by pablob View Post
...you can hear sound with headphones, but the playback is not all that great...
Has anybody try this trick, increase the softvolmax, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...hlight=softvol,
thread #7 and #8,

does it help?

bun

It's weird everybody report sound problem with 2008HE. It sounds just perfect on my N770. The only patch I applied was the fanoush SDHC kernel patch so nothing to do with sound.

BTW, to stay on topic, definitely 2008HE, especially since I have no sound problem ;-)

The Following User Says Thank You to Krystan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 46 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Edmonton, AB, Canada
I tried the softvol trick in mplayer, but it did not seem to make a difference (between softvol=true and softvol=false). However, I installed ogg-support (0.7) before (instead of mogg), and it did seem to make a big difference in the volume!

Now the media playing is working decently (, so I'm thinking whether I'll get rid of OS2007HE to free up some space.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pablob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pablob View Post
However, I installed ogg-support (0.7) before (instead of mogg), and it did seem to make a big difference in the volume!
Where did you get the 0.7 version of this? I can only find version 0.5 on gronmayer.com

Edit: Found here: http://maemo.org/downloads/product/OS2008/ogg/

Last edited by Atarii; 2008-07-07 at 20:58.

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ new city, ny
can someone please tell me where to download the images for 2007 and for the 2008HE.

I have looked all over and cant find them.

thanks
MB

Posts: 178 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Ireland
Originally Posted by mabrett00 View Post
can someone please tell me where to download the images for 2007 and for the 2008HE.
http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/