Active Topics

Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
I read somewhere recently that Nokia had 10 guys working on meego...Elop could have hired 10 x the developers...
It is called Brooks Law

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dylanemcgregor For This Useful Post:
Posts: 289 | Thanked: 560 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Tampere, Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
MeeGo was going to be late, regardless. Folks are too unwilling to admit that.

So instead, spread anger about WP7 - which, is easier to do since it's not full-featured as of yet nor is it a successful seller at the moment either.

Pick the easiest to do, run with that. That's what is happening on these boards. Easier to blame Elop than face the fact that nothing is shown a ****ing year later after the initial MeeGo announcement that can be purchased rather soon.
For me the biggest insanity in this isn't about WP7 being bad, or some ideological openness question. It's the seemingly disproportionate ratio between what Nokia is giving up (past, present and future) and what they are gaining.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jsa For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
I read somewhere recently that Nokia had 10 guys working on meego...Elop could have hired 10 x the developers....sounds more like a msft flunky is invading it's competition and then letting it die.

Anyone who can't put 2 and 2 on this one must have fallen off the fruit truck comming into town.
We will never know what really has happened until someone deep inside Nokia start writing about it. This will probably happen sooner than later when people start to leave Nokia.

But one thing is for sure, what went wrong happened several years ago. Elop and MS is just the end of it.

As I stated in my opening post, I don't believe WP7 is actually an improvement on the previous path.

All I wanted to say is, on these boards it's tempting to blame Elop/WP7/Microsoft/Nokia management for the failure of the project. But maybe the prosaic truth is simply that MeeGo failed because developers couldn't get something good enough finished quickly enough.

The Following User Says Thank You to pxa270 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 224 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
But one thing is for sure, what went wrong happened several years ago. Elop and MS is just the end of it.
You're probably right. But this also means that Elop is a weak leader.

Steve Jobs did not sell off Apple. He re-innovated.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to cBeam For This Useful Post:
So meego can be considered too late but a beta version of WP7 that just came out in November is not huh? Really the last update of WP7 just released a week ago added what should have been in at launch, a bunch of crap is still missing from it to be added in the next update and the development sdk is still missing a bunch of core API things to come later in the year

The Following User Says Thank You to nocain For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
MeeGo was going to be late, regardless. Folks are too unwilling to admit that...
I really don't know, gerbick, and you may be right. But with scraping it like this we will NEVER know.

I feel no need to become an apologist for Nokia's management. I thought things were messy when Meego was announced a year ago, but there is no match to the mess we're going to see the two years to come. What with WP7 completely undercooked (no multitasking, no copy/paste), and at the same time need to write all hardware drivers to put it on Nokia's devices. Will WP7 run well on the low range phones that currently use Symbian?

As I said, I am no expert at all, but my gut feeling tells me Nokia's problems aren't just going to go away with a new OS.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sopwith For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
MeeGo was going to be late, regardless. Folks are too unwilling to admit that.

So instead, spread anger about WP7 - which, is easier to do since it's not full-featured as of yet nor is it a successful seller at the moment either.

Pick the easiest to do, run with that. That's what is happening on these boards. Easier to blame Elop than face the fact that nothing is shown a ****ing year later after the initial MeeGo announcement that can be purchased rather soon.

Well some is maybe because of this :-(

http://thenokiablog.com/2011/02/12/m...vice-rejected/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
We will never know what really has happened until someone deep inside Nokia start writing about it. This will probably happen sooner than later when people start to leave Nokia.

No its not the end of it. The problems will continue... The one who scares me most is what will happen to Qt :-(

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I read somewhere recently that Nokia had 10 guys working on meego...Elop could have hired 10 x the developers....sounds more like a msft flunky is invading it's competition and then letting it die.

Anyone who can't put 2 and 2 on this one must have fallen off the fruit truck comming into town.
I truly doubt it was 10 folks only working on MeeGo; however if that's the case, that was Nokia's pre-Elop decision.

If Elop didn't see the value in MeeGo, then that was the board's inability to convey that. They were supposed to show all aspects of their operations, including future iterations of OS's and how that would be advantageous to their next set of projects going forward.

That... somehow didn't happen.

So what happened? He talked about what he knew... a MS OS. And the board didn't fight against it well enough to stop it. We can all wonder why, but it's just what happened. Speculate on your own - there's tons of theories.

The MSFT flunky that invaded Nokia was invited by Nokia's board of directors.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, meego rip