Active Topics

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Surrey, UK
Hello All

Im afraid I am not that forum savvy and so din't know whether to start new thread or continue old etc.

I recently upgraded the firmware on my N800 to 4.2007.26-8 and after doing so found my wifi connection stopped working. I tried all suggestions that have been given on this forum for similar issues but to no avail.

I then looked at my router and found the following:
1. My N800 was being given the following IP address 192.168.2.3
2. The security log was blocking 192.168.2.3 due to a DoS attack.

I have therefore put the IP address in the DMZ and now the N800 works fine.

However as the IP address changes each time I log on (as I use DHCP and have various wifi systems) how can I get my router to accept the N800 as not being a DoS attacker?

I did not want to disable the routers firewall.

Can you assign a static IP address to the N800?

My router is a Belkin F5D7231-4_UK with the latest firmware installed.

Any suggestions from the IT wise would be much appreciated.

Regards

Posts: 708 | Thanked: 125 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Too Close To D.C
Do your router have Wireless MAC Filter, if so why not add N800's Mac address as to "allow" getting an IP address?

Last edited by heavyt; 2007-08-17 at 01:20.

That's the weirdest thing I've ever heard of. What's running on the Nokia? You should be able to tell your router to give the mac address of the Nokia a static ip address.

SEARCH! It's probably already been answered.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Park City, Utah, USA
I have a similar Belkin wireless router, and I'm pretty sure it will will let you solve the problem easily. Use a web browser to log in to the router and go to the LAN settings page. Find the option called "Lease Time" and change it to Forever, or a week. That will reserve a specific IP address for your N800 (and any other computer that checks in to your network) forever, or whatever time period you set. You N800 will get the same IP address every time.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Assign a static IP address to your N800 by editing the connection in Control Panel, and clicking the Advanced button on the last page of the configuration wizard.

Using an infinite lease time is a good way to ensure your DHCP server eventually runs out of IP addresses!

The best option would be to get to the bottom of this network issue and try to understand why your router began blocking your N800 - putting the N800 in the DMZ isn't an ideal solution, even with a static IP address.

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Seattle,WA
Hey - Milhouse just beat me to the static IP idea. Oh well - as I have it typed up, might as well submit it...

You could also set your connection up on the N800 side with a static IP - assuming you have the connection saved. Just choose an IP outside of your router's DHCP server range. I prefer that to mucking around with the router.

Within the Control Panel bring up the Connectivity app. Tap "Connections", select your Wifi connection, then "Edit". Step through the various screens with "Next" until the last screen. Tap the "Advanced" button and select the "IP Addresses" tab. Un-check "Auto-retrieve IP address:" and enter your static IP and netmask (probably 255.255.255.0) in the first two fields. Put your router's IP address in the "Router:" and "Primary DNS address:" fields. Tap "OK", then "Finish" and you're all set.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Poland / Bialystok
Can there be any problem caused by filling-in primary as well as secondary DNS?
I'm having an issue that with DHCP everything works like a charm but when I use static IP(and manually typed DNSes) - I can't get DNS resolve to work.
I have to edit /etc/resolv.conf manually which is annoying especially when I boot up the from new flash and I have no root neither xterm installed.