Hello

This is the talk page for "Unleash Harmattan multitasking powers" brainstorm
(http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...ng_powers-002/).

The aim of this brainstorm is to enhance multitasking abilities by:
* introducing the ability to "interact" with 2 or more apps displayed simultaneously on the screen (as opposed to only "see" thumbnails of multiple apps running concurrently as is currently the case)
* grouping open apps in "open apps folders" for better app organization (as opposed to only have a single "open app view" as is currently the case)

Note: I have never used a N9 or N950, the brainstorm is only based on the many youtube videos I watched. Please let me know if this brainstorm is out of place.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sergiogiogio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
hum, side by side view would be neat.

Originally Posted by erendorn View Post
hum, side by side view would be neat.
Picture-in-picture could be useful too? That would be a big "show off" moment

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 565 | Thanked: 618 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
In my opinion WVGA is way too low for tiling window manager.
Wlan Driver Selector Applet - Switch easily between stock and bleeding edge drivers

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Use the gyroscope.

Let it have a mode where the view smoothly pans between 2 apps (or 3 at most) as you tilt the device left n right.

(As in AR (augmented reality) views.)
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I'm not sure about a side-by-side view, or folders for open applications (although folders for the launcher would be good), but it would be nice if we could control the layout of the multi-tasking view.

Obviously I haven't tried it yet, but I'm not sure I like the idea that the most recent app moves into the top-left, so it would be nice if that was optional. It would also be nice if we could rearrange the running apps in the grid (I've often wanted to do this in Maemo).

Of course, the Harmattan home screens aren't open source, so this won't be something we can fix anyway (other than making a clone).

I would like to group the browser instances. With too many instances itīs difficult to manage (for that reason i prefer a tab browser like Firefox or Opera but the default browser in Harmattan isnīt like that).

Who cares? N9/50 is an ABSOLUTE EOL dead end 'platform' with ZERO future. If Nokia 'WONTFIX'ed' stuff on the N900 when it WAS supposed to be a real platform what hope in anything is there that anyone will even read your Harmattan brainstorms? Your going to be lucky if you receive a single firmware upgrade to fix all the original release bugs.

The N9 is deader than Meego, why are you all so blind to see this?

Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Who cares? N9/50 is an ABSOLUTE EOL dead end 'platform' with ZERO future. If Nokia 'WONTFIX'ed' stuff on the N900 when it WAS supposed to be a real platform what hope in anything is there that anyone will even read your Harmattan brainstorms? Your going to be lucky if you receive a single firmware upgrade to fix all the original release bugs.

The N9 is deader than Meego, why are you all so blind to see this?
Not trying to be nitpicking here but the N900 was suppose to be step 4/5 and harmattan is 5/5 and the "real platform".. But I agree with everything else.

I like MINKIN2's suggestion of picture-in-picture: one app full screen with full controls, and one app shown as thumbnail without controls (watch only). It is not as powerful as the ability to control 2 apps running side by side, but may better accommodate smaller screens (laasonen concern). MINKIN2, I have added this idea to the brainstorm and credited you - hope you don't mind Maybe you should patent it!

The PIP mode provides the ability to perform a task within fullscreen app, while monitoring a status or an even within the inset app.
Here are few possible inset app:
- video chat / video stream: e.g. you write an email while watching live TV
- social updates (notifications): e.g. you want social updates to be always displayed on the screen
- turn by turn games like chess: e.g. you browse the web while your opponent is thinking of the next move

Interaction:
- you enter the PIP mode from the open application view by drag-and-dropping the thumbail of one app (A) into the thumbail of another app (B): the result is app A fullscreen, full controls, with app B displayed as inset
- all inputs are directed to fullscreen app, except:
+ taps into inset app: these taps make both apps switch roles, inset app becomes fullscreen, fullscreen app becomes inset
+ finger dragging within inset app: these drags makes the inset app move within the screen. this feature enables to place inset app anywhere within the screen
+ pinch-to-zoom within the inset app: these gestures makes the inset app thumbnail smaller or bigger (within limits such that it remains always clear which app is inset, which app is fullscreen)
- you leave the PIP mode by swiping the main application out (regular interaction to leave an app)

Pros:
- should be easier to implement than a a tiling system
- should be less confusing to the user than a tiling system

Cons:
- only the fullscreen app receives input, it is not possible to control 2 apps at the same time. This multitasking presentation is appropriate when doing one task and monitoring a status.
- the full screen app will draw its view regardless of the inset app, which is not efficient
- the inset app will mask part of the fullscreen app view - this issue is however mitigated by the fact that the inset app thumbnail can be moved

Last edited by sergiogiogio; 2011-07-06 at 16:56. Reason: typos

The Following User Says Thank You to sergiogiogio For This Useful Post: