Active Topics

I replaced my screen protector today, (thus pushing lightly on the screen, but more than I usually do) and when I started it back up I find that the touch screen no longer works. The screen looks perfectly fine, but touching it results in nothing. Dpad works too.

There has long been a problem with sensitivity around the "O" key of the onscreen keyboard (top right side), but it usually works. In the past few weeks, I've had this problem once or twice, where all of a sudden I can't click the screen. I wipe it off, reboot, and it usually works. So I ignored it.

Now if I go to the screen calibration, I can click #1, but not number 2. And after a few seconds, it will start showing "Please tap closer to #1" or #2, as if the device is still getting input from the touchscreen even when I'm not touching it.

Could this be a lose wire? Can the touchscreen short out? Does anyone know of a repair or why this is happening?

I've had this device (lovingly) since 2006. I have a deep loyalty to what Nokia is trying to do here. For once someone actually cares about users like myself. So if it is broke, should I try to repair it? Should I wait for Q3 (late summer??) for the n900? does anyone know the pricetag on that? Any comments welcome. As of now I don't know what to do with it.

Rhys

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by rhys_rhaven View Post
I replaced my screen protector today, (thus pushing lightly on the screen, but more than I usually do) and when I started it back up I find that the touch screen no longer works.
If something (screen protector, dirt, toenail clipping, etc.) gets wedged between the screen and the bezel, it can render the touchscreen useless until the foreign object is removed. You might check that your new screen protector isn't under the bezel anywhere and that you haven't accidentally gotten any debris stuck at the edge of the screen.

The Following User Says Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
obvious answer is obvious. sorry. took off the screen protector and -all- problems went away. thanks.

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Wichita, KS
wow, that was it? well, that wouldn't have been obvious to me. that's good to know. so there's something i can try if my touch screen ever starts acting like it's dead (rather than just starting to cry... and/or plugging in a mouse and keyboard, i suppose...)

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
What screen protector did you use? I'm just wondering if it's a brand to avoid!

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
I use the boxwave anti-glare protector. Haven't had to replace it in over a year and it makes the screen feel / look a lot nicer.

http://www.boxwave.com/products/clea...-n800_2569.htm

No, it wasn't the brand of screen protector. I had bought 3 from the same company (I forget) and this was the third. The first two worked very well. I was actually replacing this one because of 3 deep deep scratches to it, that otherwise would have ruined my screen.

I just ordered one of the boxwave ones. The problem i think was a piece of debris got stuck underneath it. I can never clean underneath the bezel. Thus when I put this new protector on it, I am going to take it apart (remove the bezel), clean it, and apply it directly to the screen.

That should work well.