Active Topics

Hi all...my first time in this forum...
Im after an internet tablet and primarily Id like to strean stereo music to my bluetooth speakers so I'll also need 8GB min storage capability...I'd also like to be able to browse the web via my home based broadband using wi-fi.The Nokia N810 seems a likely candidate...is it? I've heard it doesn't support A2DP as standard but it can be configured to do so...is this true and if so what are the drawbacks. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Im based in the UK. Cheers

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
A2DP is supposed to come in an official update at some point. But we've been waiting for a long time and it's still not here, so who knows...and yes, there's a way to get it going, but personally I haven't installed the unofficial A2DP update/hack since at least last time I looked it had a "this will drain your battery fast" note added to it. I think the battery runs out too fast as it is, I couldn't install anything that will make it die even sooner. Perhaps somebody who's using the A2DP hack can tell us more about how fast exactly it will drain your battery.

For surfing at home, the N810 is perfect. My wife is home at the moment taking care of a newborn and she uses it constantly for browsing, emailing and chatting through our home WLAN. It's much more convenient to pick up the tablet and check a web site / your emails than turning a computer on. Video calls work through googletalk as well, Skype is audio only (with video support unlikely, if I've understood correctly).

The Following User Says Thank You to BatPenguin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
The N810 will connect to a Wifi access point and wirelessly to your mobile phone via BT to connect to a GPRS/EDGE/3G/3.5G network (the latter is something the iPhone and iPod Touch cannot do)

as for what I can do online:

- Mauku allows me to use Jaiku microblogging
- Maemo WordPy allows me to blog to WordPress and Blogger
- I believe you can run telnet to do remote connections
- built-in media player plays back online media streams
- Vagalume connects you to the last.fm network
- web browser has full Flash support (lacking in the iPhone and iPod Touch)
- make VoIP calls via VoIPbuster and Skype (gave up on Gizmo - hopeless tech support and patchy service)

Of course, the N800 will do that too, and has 2 SDHC slots to max out your storage memory. To the best of my knowledge, the N810 uses a miniSDHC and the biggest card you can get is an 8GB.

I have an N800 and run 2 x 16GB SDHCs with several days worth of movies and music

Ultimately, you have to decide if you want :

a transfective (TFT) screen for better viewing outdoors
built-in GPS receiver
a physical keyboard (useful for lengthy posts/emails,etc)

or

if you want to pay less and get an N800 with 2 SDHC slots for max storage, and buy

a 16GB SDHC,
a BT keyboard (the Apple Wireless keyboard is tempting me), and
a Holux GPS receiver

These are add-ons that you can opt not to haul around if you want to travel light.

The Following User Says Thank You to ghoonk For This Useful Post:
An A2DP update is definitely possible. The tablets originally didn't support Bluetooth headsets at all, but that was fixed with an official firmware update at the end of last year so they can now use BT headsets with call-quality sound. Nokia might well do the same thing to add A2DP support, there's nothing to stop it happening.

The Following User Says Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
Yes, BT headsets can be used (and the BT icon switches to a headset icon to indicate when it is connected to a BT headset), but you won't get A2DP sound without the workaround from http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...highlight=A2DP

Bottom line is, it can be done, but it's CPU-intensive for some reason (not sure why my E51 can do it, but not the N800 with a superior processor), and might be awhile before Nokia properly supports it.

Going back to my earlier statements about Nokia's positioning of this device as an Internet tablet and not so much as a PMP, I'm inclined to believe that A2DP is not high on their priority at this point in time where the OS2008 roadmap is concerned...

The Following User Says Thank You to ghoonk For This Useful Post:
Just like magic (thanks guys)...

\o/