Active Topics

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Someone should sticky this sucka, ideally in apps.

The problem now is, correct me if I'm wrong, that you can't easily see out of which repo the package in the package manager comes. You have "extras" but are these the safe or the unsafe extras..
A colour will probably help a lot! Don't know if it's possible to modify the package manager though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to duckyduck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by duckyduck View Post
The problem now is, correct me if I'm wrong, that you can't easily see out of which repo the package in the package manager comes. You have "extras" but are these the safe or the unsafe extras..
A colour will probably help a lot! Don't know if it's possible to modify the package manager though.
The package manager shows it in the details summary.
But you shouldn't configure extras-devel on your device at all.
It's mostly stuff for N8x0 that was just uploaded to the Fremantle autobuilder.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by AVee View Post
The warning should really be phrased positive, e.g. "Feel free to play with this software, but be aware that..." And add the 'Restore factory image' instructions in there, doing so will scare more people away then any warning will.
You raise a good point: we want to encourage testing but warn of possible consequences, so the overall tone should indeed be positive but with very clear caveats. In addition, paths to bug/suggestion reporting should be clearly included.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
I was reflecting on this today, having volunteered my not-yet-arrived n900 for a few bits of testing already, and wondering how to say what we want to say to people about the test programme without being overly alarming, with a proper disclaimer but also a reassurance.

I came up with something like this (Please note the tech in here is mostly guess!)

Welcome to the Developers-extras section of maemo.org.

Please note that all the applications and widgets in this area are still under development. They have been placed here so that volunteers can test them.

As such, these applications cannot be guranteed to be to bug-free, and installing them may cause your device to freeze, crash, or in rare cases become unstable. If you choose to go ahead and encounter problems, your device can usually be restored by a warm reboot (Turn off, turn back on) or a cold reboot (turn off, remove the battery, replace the battery and turn back on). In exceptional cases, it may be necessary to restore your device to the factory settings: this can be done by reinstalling the operating system (known as 'flashing the firmware'). For full details, go here: (Insert link here).

Development of these applications depends on people being willing to try them out and provide feedback. If you do install one of these items, please remember to return here and vote, providing feedback particularly on stability, smoothness, usefulness and user-friendliness.

Thank you, and welcome to the 'Extras-development-testing repository'
This comes with suitable warnings, advice if you have problems, and an invitation to be part of the testing, without the 'You shouldn't be here' bit. I think it might result in more volunteers, yet it still gives due notice of possible problems.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
...As such, these applications cannot be guranteed to be to bug-free...
And the other applications can be?

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by duckyduck View Post
I made the "mistake" yesterday, I enabled the dev repo and started installing programs, this, that, that, this.... The memory information tool says I have 2GB of memory, so who cares?
Until the moment that my phone froze.. 0 bytes free in root..
This is a real issue - unless maemo intends to limit the number of applications available for download to under 233MB space in root, it is a design problem, as far as I can see.

Since other things besides installed applications can fill up the root tree (though they should not) perhaps the device could watch the filesystem and give a chance to abort writes when near end of space.

The Following User Says Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
This is a real issue - unless maemo intends to limit the number of applications available for download to under 233MB space in root, it is a design problem, as far as I can see.

Since other things besides installed applications can fill up the root tree (though they should not) perhaps the device could watch the filesystem and give a chance to abort writes when near end of space.
So this brings up a question, if root, or rootfs is running as is expected by Maemo architects, how much space is enough? I've got a new n900 that i've installed a few apps, mainly from the 'approved' repositories, and when I run df it shows over 70% in use for 'rootfs'. Is this expected and how much free space is needed before things start to fall apart?

thx

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
Just to clear up a few things - as much as I hate the /opt problem, we're talking about dev repos here. There is no guarantee about anything there - it's the wild west. So yeah, stuff should gravitate to optification, but the chief rule is still caveat emptor.

Since it's a compressed FS this is a bit tricky. There was the idea of the autobuilder inserting a helper field in the debs about the 'real' disk usage of a package (to prevent even considering packages that can't fit), but I don't know what happened to that train of though...

Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by hypoxic View Post
So this brings up a question, if root, or rootfs is running as is expected by Maemo architects, how much space is enough? I've got a new n900 that i've installed a few apps, mainly from the 'approved' repositories, and when I run df it shows over 70% in use for 'rootfs'. Is this expected and how much free space is needed before things start to fall apart?
On a related note, also see https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5450

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post: