Active Topics

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
We've ascended into higher operating systems.

and higher spec of hardware sir, but too much fragmentation of chipset, too much android will kill android, but damn theyre improving themself everyday, ics is so cool, *sigh

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
what amazes and disappoints me about Android is that I can't carry through my chess dream even on the Acer Iconia A500 I now have.

All I want to do is sit here reading a chess book (I have some ready in the Kindle app) and play through the moves using a great chess display program such as Scid, which I have in a good Android version.

But I see no way to display both programs at once even on the 10 inch screen I have! I can look at the moves or look at the commentary on the moves -- take my pick!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
what amazes and disappoints me about Android is that I can't carry through my chess dream even on the Acer Iconia A500 I now have.

All I want to do is sit here reading a chess book (I have some ready in the Kindle app) and play through the moves using a great chess display program such as Scid, which I have in a good Android version.

But I see no way to display both programs at once even on the 10 inch screen I have! I can look at the moves or look at the commentary on the moves -- take my pick!
Then you will LOVE this...
Android gets multi-windowed UI with new Wind River software modules

Or this...
Windowed Android UI by Ixonos Makes an Appearance

In the meantime, you can also read this for technical reasons regarding why Android isn't natively windowed... yet:
https://plus.google.com/105051985738...ts/XAZ4CeVP6DC

In the meantime, today you could multi-pane (instead of windowed):
http://www.onskreen.com/cornerstone/

Hope this was helpful or at least genuinely hopeful information. Cheers!
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
@geneven: If you can access what you would like to read using a browser then you can use OverSkreen (not to be confused with Onskreen) to make mutiple windows for browsing. The window (or windows) will sit on top of whatever app you are running i.e. Chess game, mail, polaris, angrybirds and so on. One nice thing is that if at some point you prefer to have full screen with your app you can tap a button on the top of the Overskreen window that relegates it to the taskbar. Going to the taskbar you can bring it back. Now, lets say, while playing chess you would like to listen to Mozart but do not have any music available. If you have the Stickit app, you can go to Youtube, pick your favorite piece, say the clarinet quintet, and then play it using Stickit with no screen visible if prefered. Unfortunately it will not make your cappuccino!

@danramos I think there is great hope here and the multitasking experience will continue improve on android due to growing interest in the android community. Perhaps partly due to former N900 users having to switch to android! Currently, (I prefer to be wrong here) I do not think any of the products you mention are generally available in a form that they can readily be used.The only exception is cornerstone onskreen that provides, for free, a ROM for the galaxy tab. Have you given it a try? Anyways, if anyone knows of a product that one can run apps in a window (less desirably in a multi-pane) on the Galaxy Note I'd definitely like to know!

Last edited by mscion; 2012-03-14 at 14:38.

I've always debated this...and frankly on a smartphone, a tablet or even a Galaxy Note, we shouldn't have a need to see two applications concurrently. But I think it would make a lot complex things much more practical.

Onscreen's approach was also good, but I didn't quite like it. I think the screen should have 3 modes: Portrait (one app), Landscape (one app), and Landscape (side by side, two apps). Having 3 available was sometimes counter-productive.

And I wish the ICS navi-buttons would be permanently fixed on the screen. Sometimes your playing an app and it disappears, you want to open another app but the only way to escape is to hit the sleep and wake the device. Happened to me a couple times too much, and its annoying as fvck, it proves Android has no multitasking ability. And getting rid of the Menu button was the biggest mistake Google has made in the last 2 years, its a disaster by a design and a functionality standpoint

I'm flattered

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
I've always debated this...and frankly on a smartphone, a tablet or even a Galaxy Note, we shouldn't have a need to see two applications concurrently. But I think it would make a lot complex things much more practical.

Onscreen's approach was also good, but I didn't quite like it. I think the screen should have 3 modes: Portrait (one app), Landscape (one app), and Landscape (side by side, two apps). Having 3 available was sometimes counter-productive.

And I wish the ICS navi-buttons would be permanently fixed on the screen. Sometimes your playing an app and it disappears, you want to open another app but the only way to escape is to hit the sleep and wake the device. Happened to me a couple times too much, and its annoying as fvck, it proves Android has no multitasking ability. And getting rid of the Menu button was the biggest mistake Google has made in the last 2 years, its a disaster by a design and a functionality standpoint
Also it is helpful to show or juxtapose multiple things in the same app. Like the mail on Galaxy note is nice in landscape because you can see what is in the inbox and an actual message at the same time.

One thing I especially do not like on the Galaxy note is the long press to get to the task manager. It was so annoying to me that I have made a shortcut to task manager on nearly every screen. You might also consider Wave Launcher. You can set it up to go directly to another app or the task manager with a swipe upwards. It pauses the app you are currently using when you go to a new one. It is a little awkward at times but it works ok.

Last edited by mscion; 2012-03-15 at 18:25.

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
I purchased a Transformer Prime + Dock KB and loving it, got none of the problems few people reported who was early adopters, dont like Asus half *** implementation for unlocking bootloader though but least its something till someone hacks a better way to do it.
Just need to wait now till Tegra 3 devices become the norm so more apps are built to take advantage of the multiple cores and GFX

Ag-a-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, shake the tree
Aga-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, grind coffee
To the left, to the right, jump up and down and to the knees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POv-3yIPSWc

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
While Nokia moved increasingly FARTHER AWAY from open-source, Google's Android is moving TOWARD openness:

With Linux merge, expect Android flowers to bloom
Developers outside Google who want to build on the mobile OS's foundation should be able to stretch out and blossom. That should pay dividends for building a better Android.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-57...wers-to-bloom/
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
It's not so that Google is creating new code which is adopted into The Mainline Kernel (Linux)... its moreso that Linux is becoming more -droidish and Android becoming less -droidish.

All the performance boosts in software we've seen from the iterations are simply [linux] available code that entered into the Android Kernel.

I think Android will ALWAYS be separated from the mainline kernel. But they are getting more shared features, and eventually the AMP (Android Mainlining Project) will be complete.

So that certain devices (eg Nexus) can have the AOSP-kernel removed and replaced with a hybrid-kernel (Linux with crucial aosp differences) so that it can run *some linux code without prior modification. Or perhaps the opposite, so an (old?) x86 device that's used for nix (ubuntu/rh/osuse) can get its kernel stripped and replaced with AMP so that android can be compatible within the build--I'm not talking about ssh environments either, talking about native running code.

I'm flattered

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
how crap is the android store for finding tablet optimised apps, they have a little stinky"staff picks for tablets" section but nothing proper so no way of knowing if an app is stretched to fit or optimised properly.
If anyone as any suggestions for me of good tablet apps please drop a reply in here or PM.

cheers guys

Ag-a-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, shake the tree
Aga-doo-doo-doo, push pineapple, grind coffee
To the left, to the right, jump up and down and to the knees

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POv-3yIPSWc

Tags
android envy, buzz..buzz buzz, core failure, crapdroid, galaxy fap, galaxy tab, ipad killer, samsung, tab trolls, tablet envy