Originally Posted by biketool View Post
If I position my phone perfectly for a fast charge on my Qi pad it gets to about 40C but never so hot that it is uncomfortable to touch.
Are you getting good charging?
I made some changes - glued magnets on the Qi charger to hold the phone, and there is now a distance of 0.5cm between the receiver and the charger. The temp seems fine so far - moving between 40 to 50 degrees.

I don't know what is considered good wireless charging - i'd say i get something like 25% for an hour (1350ma battery).

The phone charges until it gets sometimes to ~93% or 100% and then the charging goes off (the charging light on the transmitter is off). after some time without touching it, the screen turns on and the charging starts again. is this normal?

The Following User Says Thank You to impeham For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,417 | Thanked: 2,619 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Touring
impeham, my phone charges almost exactly the same including speed as when plugged in by the Nokia 1.2A 110-220V charger. I supply the Qi pad from a 2A per port x4 USB charging converter.
I have a 3000mA/h(edit, not 300mA/h) double-scud battery under a Mugen cover and have the data pin shorted Qi receiver attached to the outside of the cover, I also have Pali's upgraded BME but do not use the special forced charge mode.

Last edited by biketool; 2014-10-12 at 10:10.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I have a 300mA/h double-scud battery
Really?

ITYM 3000 and mAh.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
impeham, my phone charges almost exactly the same including speed as when plugged in by the Nokia 1.2A 110-220V charger. I supply the Qi pad from a 2A per port x4 USB charging converter.
I have a 300mA/h double-scud battery under a Mugen cover and have the data pin shorted Qi receiver attached to the outside of the cover, I also have Pali's upgraded BME but do not use the special forced charge mode.
Which charger pad are you using? which 2A adapter?

Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to impeham For This Useful Post:
Inateck USB charger using one of the 2amp ports from here http://www.amazon.com/InateckŪ-All-I...dp/B00IP8IE5W/
and a generic MC-02A which was the cheapest Qi pad I found on the day I was shopping.
My wife's MC-02A is powered by her 2amp charger included with a Nook ebook reader and works just as well as my inateck 4 port.

Last edited by biketool; 2014-10-12 at 04:32.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Inateck USB charger using one of the 2amp ports from here http://www.amazon.com/InateckŪ-All-I...dp/B00IP8IE5W/
and a generic MC-02A which was the cheapest Qi pad I found on the day I was shopping.
My wife's MC-02A is powered by her 2amp charger included with a Nook ebook reader and works just as well as my inateck 4 port.
Thanks - i just ordered:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ORICO-DCH...E:L:OC:US:3160

I've attached a screenshot taken from BatteryGraph of the wireless charging flow during the night without being touched (morning actually) - you can see the auto stop/start of charging - green is when it is really charging.
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to impeham For This Useful Post:
Impeham, I was just reading that Qi chargers are supposed to have a thermal protection circuit which may be malfunctioning or not per standard.

Last edited by biketool; 2014-10-12 at 19:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
I finally took the Qi charger off of my N900.
Qi is neat and I liked the idea of protecting my USB port, but the constant friction of daily use caused a break in the exposed ribbon cable where it made a bend, it was just easier to go back to plugging in than finding a compatible charger and making the adaptations for a N900 again.
I suppose that being in the twilight of the N900 experience I will look for a replacement which has integrated Qi charging, and since I just found an unused N900 there are perhaps a few years for me to change my mind and switch back to using the Qi mod.
If I re apply a Qi pad to my phone I will stick it down with the same 3M double sided sticky tape used to secure the LCD display into the bezel for tablets.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Sorry to hear that.
Anyway that's one of the reasons why Neo900 got hackerbus, so no cables would need to stick out of device and this wouldn't break neither hinder the access to battery and uSD.

What just occurs to me: doesn't the device lock to USB active and high CPU frequency, causing a constant ~60mA drain, when anything is attached to the USB? Well, probbaly it doesn't need D+/- short removal but only VBUS not supplying 5V anymore, for that to stop

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
(snip)

What just occurs to me: doesn't the device lock to USB active and high CPU frequency, causing a constant ~60mA drain, when anything is attached to the USB? Well, probbaly it doesn't need D+/- short removal but only VBUS not supplying 5V anymore, for that to stop

/j
I never had battery drain/high CPU issues with the shorted charger installed.

The biggest reason for ending my N900+Qi experiment was form factor. Having to go with a hacked reassembled external USB plug (unlike future Neo900 which will have under the battery cover pins or pads for the hacker connection) and exposed ribbon cable made the phone constantly vulnerable to external damage from bumps and pocket snags.
I also had to find a way to secure the receiver pad externally due to fit issues with a Mugen/double Scud battery system. It looked pretty good new but the pad being thin, inexpensive, and attached with room temperature peelable 'sticker' adhesive also began to wear at the edges and eventually unstick from pocket wear, body heat, and the heat of being on the inductive charger. Despite the un-sticking pad problem the ultimate failure and end of experiment was a wear through where the ribbon cable went over and edge between the phone body and where the Mugen cover attached.
I have also found that despite the peril of a USB port breaking fall while charging, which has broken several of my N900s, it is easier to get a reliable overnight charge by plugging in than setting a phone or tablet onto a pad requiring placement within a spot that has about 1cm or less error zone.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to biketool For This Useful Post:

Tags
nokia n900, qi charging