Active Topics

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
For transferring files between N810 and an iPad or Macbook, you need a router. Now my question is when a router is unavailable, (e.g. on travel) there is no way to connect devices without a router.
Is there a possibility to use the N810 as a router, even without internet connection ?

It might be easier to go the other way round and put the router software on your Mac (Google that).

Posts: 542 | Thanked: 117 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ 52 N, 6 E
I know that is rather easy.
But the other option (if I have only an iPad and N810 available e.g. during travel.

I know there is a builtin iptables , can I use this app as a router software ?

Originally Posted by skatebiker View Post
I know there is a builtin iptables , can I use this app as a router software ?
technically it's the kernel doing the routing, iptables is just used to manage things.

But it's also not technically routing traffick if it just serves dhcp to the ipad on the local ad-hoc network, though routing traffick over bluetooth DUN is possible too.

In addition to iptables you some sort of dhcp server, dnsmasq can act as a lightweight one.

See my mobilehotspot backend script for some examples and there's the purer shell-script version too (both for n900 but principles are the same, it's all basic linux networking anyway)

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
The N810 wlan driver doesn't have master mode, so it can't be used as AP, so you won't be able to use it as a router, unless you get a usb wifi dongle that works with the N810.
Or try to route from usb or bluetooth to wlan ad-hock, but seems really complicated.

An ad hoc WLAN with manual IP configuration between the N810 / Macbook / iPad should work.

Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
The N810 wlan driver doesn't have master mode, so it can't be used as AP, so you won't be able to use it as a router, unless you get a usb wifi dongle that works with the N810.
Or try to route from usb or bluetooth to wlan ad-hock, but seems really complicated.
N900 has no master mode either and it's simple to configure the ad-hoc network, routing has absolutely nothing to do with what transports the networks being routed happen to use.

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by rambo View Post
N900 has no master mode either and it's simple to configure the ad-hoc network, routing has absolutely nothing to do with what transports the networks being routed happen to use.
I was under the wrong assumption that the ad-hoc mode could connect just two devices.
So, being the case that ad-hoc can connect 3 devices, then the N810 can route just with iptables with no problem.

Originally Posted by maacruz View Post
I was under the wrong assumption that the ad-hoc mode could connect just two devices.
So, being the case that ad-hoc can connect 3 devices, then the N810 can route just with iptables with no problem.
Depending on devices, you may end-up being unable to connect even 2 devices reliably.

I haven't tried it yet because I keep forgetting about this article but OpenWRT on the N810: http://bu3sch.de/cms/hacking/n810-openwrt.html