After installing KP51 and USB mode I don't have access to Internal memory as well to SDCard.
Even as i removed USB mode it seems like tere is no memory nor SD.
When I connect the device to a PC as mass storage, it recognize the device and the SD but ask to enter disc to it.

anyone ?

Would I be able to use this hub?

http://www.solarsshop.com/dtech-dt40...tery-p-47.html

And more general question: can N900 work in host mode and charge at the same time?

Thank you in advance for the answer.

Cheers.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Let me just start by giving my usual rant about how there's a reason there's 'extras-devel' and 'cssu-testing' repositories, and it's so that things like this can be there, instead of users having to track threads down whenever they want to check for a new version, or reinstall.

On the other hand, I understand not wanting to throw something really experimental into an official repository, especially if time is limited, so I can't get too irritated by this, but still. Wish all you people producing useful software would shove it into -devel as soon as it compiles and is packageable, and doesn't auto-self-destructs the device as soon as you install it.

Other than that though, this looks awesome. Mainly because this is a lot more intuitive than the h-e-n version. AND the auto-mount and file-manager auto-open make the experience of using USB devices with the N900 a lot more typical-computer-like.

Though I would say ideally having led patterns configurable would be better (why not make red led the standard color for power being output from the N900's USB? By default, blue is new messages, green is full charge, orange is charging, yellow is 'emergency' charging and the like, and white is normal idle. Reds, purples, and blue-greens, are really the only colors left unused by default, and anyone already modding their LED colors/patterns can easily adjust the patterns brought in by this package as well, if they don't like one of those colors as a default.

And I imagine everyone would want auto-mounting behavior, but might not want auto-open-file-manager to happen all the time as soon as you plug in a USB stick (unless there's a way to open windows in the background completely without interrupting what the user is doing, in which case that should be a configurable option somewhere).

Originally Posted by Helmy View Post
i looked quickly at the src and one thing i noticed was the usbmode.sh in the package is not the same as the one downloaded from http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pali/usbmode.sh
found on Pali's page at
http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pal...o/bq2415x.html
i did not compare it line by line but i noticed a sleep for 1 second has been added in many places.
are the changes to usbmode.sh needed only for USB Mode, or the usbmode.sh found at http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pali/usbmode.sh is an old version?
also i'm curious why a sleep for 1 second was added?
I'd like answer to this too (though my by-default assumption when I see sleep commands inside a script is that they're unnecessary overprecaution).

Originally Posted by mrover View Post
Would I be able to use this hub?

http://www.solarsshop.com/dtech-dt40...tery-p-47.html
Should work just fine, I think. I mean, all hubs ultimately do the same thing, and the kernel driver should be able to handle them all just fine?

Originally Posted by mrover
And more general question: can N900 work in host mode and charge at the same time?
I think based on what i know/remember this is possible, although I am not 100% certain.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
another reason to like my n9000 even more
what is the difference between 'with boost' and 'with charging' options?

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Let me just start by giving my usual rant about how there's a reason there's 'extras-devel' and 'cssu-testing' repositories, and it's so that things like this can be there, instead of users having to track threads down whenever they want to check for a new version, or reinstall.

On the other hand, I understand not wanting to throw something really experimental into an official repository, especially if time is limited, so I can't get too irritated by this, but still. Wish all you people producing useful software would shove it into -devel as soon as it compiles and is packageable, and doesn't auto-self-destructs the device as soon as you install it.
+1. It's place is in -devel, really!

Though I would say ideally having led patterns configurable would be better (why not make red led the standard color for power being output from the N900's USB? By default, blue is new messages, green is full charge, orange is charging, yellow is 'emergency' charging and the like, and white is normal idle. Reds, purples, and blue-greens, are really the only colors left unused by default, and anyone already modding their LED colors/patterns can easily adjust the patterns brought in by this package as well, if they don't like one of those colors as a default.
It should be editable via Led patterns editor package, just like any other patterns (after pattern is created initially, by program). Isn't it?

but might not want auto-open-file-manager to happen all the time as soon as you plug in a USB stick (unless there's a way to open windows in the background completely without interrupting what the user is doing, in which case that should be a configurable option somewhere).
This behavior started after CSSU'ish update of ke-recv, that automatically handles mounting of attached things like microSD or USB storage. ke-recv in itself is great, but this file manager thingy is irritating, indeed.

I'm not sure, if it's how Maemo acts, when presented with new storage, or it is ke-recv feat, but it's definitely not related to this USB Mode, as it happens exactly same way with H-E-N.
---

Great work, Pali, thanks!

I wonder, is it exactly same implementation as in H-E-N, just integrated properly in kernel and userland + auto guessing speed, or something else was fixed during process, too?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Hi, I do not have a lot of time now. I write some info:

when host mode with boost is enabled, then n900 supply voltage boost - this is needed if you do not have external power supply for usb device. host mode with charging is host mode without boost. in this mode n900 does not supply voltage, so external supply (from hub) is needed. Also in this mode can be battery charged (it will charge battery automatically if power is detected).

CSSU testing is needed because it has updated ke-recv which automount usb disks. Reason is that CSSU is right place where can be system packages updated (because nokia never release updated system packages)

blue led light when boost mode (which drain battery) is activated. you can edit led pattern in control panel with extras package led-pattern-editor

also vote for package mceledpattern which is needed for registring boost pattern in mce.

Estel, this is same implementation of usb host mode as in hen. Only battery charging & boost is implemented in kernel and musb export speed of connected usb device to sysfs.

Last edited by pali; 2012-07-28 at 08:18.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pali For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pali View Post
host mode with charging is host mode without boost. in this mode n900 does not supply voltage, so external supply (from hub) is needed. Also in this mode can be battery charged (it will charge battery automatically if power is detected).
I measured with a voltmeter the output voltage from the USB port and in "host mode with charging" my n900 is for sure supplying 5 volts.

you are saying it does not supply voltage in that mode, but i'm measuring 5volts coming out of the port while it is trying the different speeds

in my test i did not connect a USB device on the other end just the voltmeter

Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Pali,

Would it be possible to display the current USB mode right under the "USB mode" text as secondary text in the status menu?
Just like "USB connected" shows "charging only" as secondary text when charging and not in Mass storage mode.
It would then have to display "USB periphal mode" when not in host mode.

And localization would be nice, but maybe a bit to much to ask for right now

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
We are talking about current here.
boost = N900 supplies power to supply a hostmode device.
charging = N900 doesn't supply a boost in current to supply a hostmode device. If the hostmode device has an external power supply the N900 will charge off it.

I'd be sure the uUSB should have voltage all the time like, most USB ports.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Helmy View Post
I measured with a voltmeter the output voltage from the USB port and in "host mode with charging" my n900 is for sure supplying 5 volts.

you are saying it does not supply voltage in that mode, but i'm measuring 5volts coming out of the port while it is trying the different speeds

in my test i did not connect a USB device on the other end just the voltmeter
Because, when it doesn't detect external 5V voltage applied, it automatically switch to hostmode with boost.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Tags
usbmode