Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
That is a great, great news. Unfortunately, I would prefer a device designed for thumb typing, i.e., with a narrower keyboard and smaller keys, whereas the Gemini is mostly designed as a mini-laptop and is best used on a table with full hands. It still makes the Gemini a more interesting product to me though, and I'll keep an eye on potential rebates or second hand devices.

I think it shows the nice mutual benefits between Sailfish and the Gemini (and potentially future HWKB devices like Chen's in case of similar partnerships), and it should bring extra media coverage on privacy-friendly OSes (which is timely after the latest scandals and the EU realization that people shouldn't give everything to Google/Apple/Facebook/etc.) and the comeback of hardware keyboards on mobile devices.

The latter is still shy but there's hope. After all, even Microsoft and Apple have started to advertise on their optional keyboards for tablets a few years ago. With the current trend towards phablets showing that customers are keen to using bigger phones for more browsing comfort if it helps rationalizing their devices, HWKB devices could claim a small user base among those that need productivity or need more than just reading content.

Since they offer keyboard shortcuts and full screen estate for the content, HWKB mobile devices are also much better terminals for using cloud computing services, another thing that is expanding very quickly these days as 4G is getting more accessible (see Shadow.tech, Rainway, Parsec, Moolinght, and so on). Some of them primarily target gaming, but they can do much more; see screenshots from my Jolla C here:

I'm not particularly a big fan of Windows, but there are many use cases for this, other host OSes will eventually be possible, and the Gemini can already boot under Debian. It looks like a regular VNC/Rdesktop/Teamviewer session, but in fact the stream is smooth with close to no noticeable latency thanks to a much better up bandwidth than the typical home computer, which is a game changer (and with their homemade application or even Parsec, the stream is optimized so you could play in 60 fps, watch videos or scroll text with no hiccups, but those apps require Android 5).

Now I'm not saying this should replace a local OS (some do, I strongly disagree, it's good to decentralize and to have an OS that is independent from network), but imagine how nice that could be with a keyboard and a stylus on the phone if you are in a country where unlimited data plans are affordable.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2018-06-26 at 14:17.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
By the way Rcolistete, I can't find any mention of Sailfish 3 in the press release you linked, but it's in your quote. Is it from another source? Did they edit because it was wrong? I would think so, because I'm almost sure I read it on Indiegogo an hour ago. They still mention Sailfish X, but they removed any mentions of "Sailfish 3" or "official version". I'm chilling now.

Edit: Phew.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2018-06-26 at 13:59.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Kabouik View Post
By the way Rcolistete, I can't find any mention of Sailfish 3 in the press release you linked, but it's in your quote. Is it from another source? Did they edit because it was wrong? I would think so, because I'm almost sure I read it on Indiegogo an hour ago. They still mention Sailfish X, but they removed any mentions of "Sailfish 3" or "official version". I'm chilling now.
Planet Computers cited Sailfish 3 and Sailfish X as the same thing, but they aren't (AFAIK).
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
From Jolla Blog :
Sailfish for Gemini Community Edition available now
June 26, 2018 by Vesa-Matti Hartikainen
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Yep, I had added the Jolla's press release in my edit above. Feels good to have a firm confirmation that there will be an official Sailfish version for the device.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
I ordered my Gemini PDA for 530 US dollars, I would have backed it if I had the money. I should get it in a few weeks. The seller was nice enough to send me the US version instead.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
I will be making Youtube Videos about the Gemini PDA, when I get one, as I feel there is a shortage of such videos.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to railroadmaster For This Useful Post:
I would appreciate that. I'm still looking for a replacement for my netbook (Eee 1000) that I like. I don't want to spend a fortune in Apple Tax and I don't need stupidly high specs. Gemini or GPD are one option but I'm not sure if they are too small.

Having upgraded the RAM to 2GB, it still matches RAM and beats HDD storage (40 Vs 32) of most of the current equivalent price and size replacements. CPU and RAM speed they hands down will beat the Atom N270/ DDR2 setup but not worth my money if the other specs aren't higher. Even the 4GB RAM in some wouldn't justify it.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
I would appreciate that. I'm still looking for a replacement for my netbook (Eee 1000) that I like. I don't want to spend a fortune in Apple Tax and I don't need stupidly high specs. Gemini or GPD are one option but I'm not sure if they are too small.
I've since last month a Gemini 4G with triple boot (Android 7.1, Debian 9.4/LXQt, Sailfish 2.1.4.14).

Gemini isn't so large if compared with 5.5" smartphones when in my pocket.

Keyboard is great, like Psion 5/5MX one, so a lot better than Nokia N810/N900 and Sailfish TOH Keyboard. Even better than many keyboards of normal and large notebooks !

Android 7.1 is 100% operational on Gemini.

Sailfish OS 2.1.4.14 (from community) is 100% operational after some small configuration (use only 3G, lock screen landscape mode, install 'Bleeding edge sd-utils' to automout uSD), only lacks proprietary (Android, etc) support. If needed Android app, just boot Android 7.1.1, anyway.

Debian stretch 9.4 is ARM 64 bits, currently needs some configuration (automount uSD, change hostname, CLI Bluetooth device configuration, touchscreen as touchpad), but itsn't 100% operational as 3G/4G doesn't work (only WiFi and Bluetooth) and there are some softwares with too small fonts (Gnome one's ?), like Synaptic, IDLE, Geogebra, etc.
LXQt is configured with some keyboard shortcuts.
I'm finishing the configuration of Debian @ Gemini to be used as a small notebook using LibreOffice/Abiword/Gnumeric, TeX (TeXLive & TeXMaker), Thunderbird, Dropbox via rclone, Python, SciDavis, etc.

My Gemini has a 128GB uSD with 32GB FAT32 partition (visible by Android 7.1, Debian, Sailfish) and the rest with Ext4 (visible by Debian and Sailfish).

With Gemini 4G using Debian and Sailfish you can have a smartphone and a full Linux mini-notebook in your pocket. I'm indeed planning to only carry my Gemini in some situations (travelling light, etc).

Last edited by rcolistete; 2018-08-18 at 08:59.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Man, please stop teasing me. I had to spend a lot of money on new glasses just last week, I really cannot afford a new toy.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: