Active Topics

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
If the root filesystem is too small maybe the best way to approach packaging is to mount an SD card (or a partition on one) on /opt and then install packages there like you would with OpenWrt if you have limited flash storage.

Other than that, sounds pretty dire if most apps are web apps. Isn't that similar to WebOS? I had a palm pre and used it for about a year, but it was before I became a Linux user so I wasn't really thinking about what was under the hood. Gave up on that because of the battery life in the end, quite liked the handset itself.

The Following User Says Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
It is just SCAM!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
It is just SCAM!
Are you Dave?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Got my Ubuntu tablet today. It's... not there yet. The desktop-part works, as in, connect a keyboard and mouse to it (USB HID or bluetooth, both work fine) and the pre-installed Gimp and LibreOffice work as expected. Not very fast though.

What surprised me, not in a good way, is the utter lack of open protocols for PIM and such. It's GOOGLE, GOOGLE and GOOGLE. And yeah twitter and facebook. Of course I use none of those, otherwise I would have gotten myself an Android-thing. Even plain IMAP e-mail isn't supported, although there's a adequate app for that in the store. But things like XMPP, CalDAV, CardDAV, SyncML, SIP VoIP? Nope!

Apps are made for phone. Heck, the thing comes with a dialer app. Which does nothing, of course. But given that this is the first actual tablet, afaik, it might get better. Quite a few apps are simple webapps, as in thin wrappers around a webpage. Meh.

Also, the Jolla phone display rendering is *much* smoother. I still wonder why Canonical is so hell-bent on developing their Mir display server, instead of Wayland. I think Jolla made the right choice there.

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
I still wonder why Canonical is so hell-bent on developing their Mir display server, instead of Wayland.
Didn't they plan on getting rid of Mir in favour of Wayland after all?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
What surprised me, not in a good way, is the utter lack of open protocols for PIM and such. It's GOOGLE, GOOGLE and GOOGLE. And yeah twitter and facebook. Of course I use none of those, otherwise I would have gotten myself an Android-thing. Even plain IMAP e-mail isn't supported, although there's a adequate app for that in the store. But things like XMPP, CalDAV, CardDAV, SyncML, SIP VoIP? Nope!
It supports CalDAV and CardDAV out of the box, there is just no gui ... sync evolution is installed by default so you "just" have to configure it for your server/provider in the terminal ...

But for sure - on a 2016 device you shouldn't have to configure your calendar sync in the terminal ;-)

Ubuntu Touch is still miles behind Sailfish in usability - it's really a pity that Ubuntu has more and bigger hardware partners (don't know how much they pay them to get the devices out though)

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by elastic View Post
But for sure - on a 2016 device you shouldn't have to configure your calendar sync in the terminal
You'd think that sort of thing would honestly be a draw with the types of users in these parts.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
A review of the Ubuntu tablet review from the Verge (as quoted at OMGubuntu).

For whatever reason, I can't find the actual video review ATM, maybe it'll appear later, but the OMG!!1Ubuntu story rehashes much of it. TL;DR: more disappointment.

Dieter Bohn's verdict: Don't buy. Unless you need real Linux in tablet form for something only real Linux can do (that you already have in mind and can't do already) and if you're willing to put up with it being "crazy slow".

(Silly offtopic video: Did you hear that? It's been upgraded to "Don't Buy!")

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
...need real Linux in tablet form for something only real Linux can do...
That reminds me of the support ticket I dealt with today.

How do you run a program using your product in the background?
For example,
progname -p ttyS0 ==> run the program
progname -p ttyS0 -b ==> run the program in the background
No more context, nothing. We make the product, not applications using it. The progname was of course nothing we would recognize. I took a guess from the command line that they were using Linux and replied how to start a process in the background.

Turns out I was wrong. Yes progname was their own application but they were not using Linux. They were using Android and the Linux solution did not work.

There. You have a real life example of something only Linux can do

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Feh. I cannot be the only person that thinks that it's sad that we're almost 25 years after the initial release of Linux and stuff like this is launched with so much disappointment attached to it.

I don't want to hear about how great (embedded) Linux is on my router, whatnot... I actually want a Linux device that does more than just give me a mobile terminal.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: