Active Topics

Assume that means restrictions to state agencies bying OS or software. I was hoping more regulations to consumer phones aswell. It would be in place to protect consumers against commercial and US state spying by promoting Sailfish OS.

http://rbth.com/news/2016/10/24/russ...in-2016_641565

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reilu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
regulations for consumer phones are not possible. we're living in free world. you can use whatever phone you want.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
Dreaming on

Maybe hacking bootloader from Ipone/Samsung etc and install Sailfish on every device

Dreaming off

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chilango For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by chilango View Post
Dreaming on

Maybe hacking bootloader from Ipone/Samsung etc and install Sailfish on every device

Dreaming off
who will develop drivers or stole source codes?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Disagree. Even Windows have changed because of foreign laws demanding fair treatment to competitors. It is reasonable to expect goverment protection against snooping us. We are not just consumers, but private people too.

World is not a open and fair nowadays, but it gave Sailfish OS a opportunity. One reason for forming Sailfish OS Russia could be to prevent Obama from blocking russian mobile phones. It was possible, because US controlls Google and Apple. If You do not believe, then remember Wikileaks. They were prevented from having donations throught Visa or Mastercard. I do not think there was any law against it, but all US companies refused to serve them nevertheless.

Future shows what is to come. I expect better than previous year. There is interesting times ahead and I really hope for a new Sailfish phone.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reilu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 509 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Mexico/Germany
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
who will develop drivers or stole source codes?
Coderus!
Really if the russian Government make strong restrictions about russian mobile markt. Maybe the companys make linux driver for her chips!
Or in other way if the concentrate of some good devices, with enough financial backup from Government, maybe they can reverse engenier the driver.
Honestly iam not a developer. Dont now if it will possible

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chilango For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by chilango View Post
Coderus!
Really if the russian Government make strong restrictions about russian mobile markt. Maybe the companys make linux driver for her chips!
Or in other way if the concentrate of some good devices, with enough financial backup from Government, maybe they can reverse engenier the driver.
Honestly iam not a developer. Dont now if it will possible
First the OS. Next will be the chips. I suspect a new chip that's also sanctioned/allowed by the Russian government to relieve the dependence on external supplies would be the smart next thing to happen.

But (correct me if I'm wrong), reverse-engineering is not against Russian law.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
But (correct me if I'm wrong), reverse-engineerija ng is not against Russian law.
True, reverse engineering is allowed in Russia just like almost everywhere in the world.
In EU legislation reverse engineering a product for compability reasons is even encouraged.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
regulations for consumer phones are not possible. we're living in free world. you can use whatever phone you want.
Originally Posted by Reilu View Post
Disagree. Even Windows have changed because of foreign laws demanding fair treatment to competitors. It is reasonable to expect goverment protection against snooping us. We are not just consumers, but private people too.
It looks like you two are talking about different things. Coderus about regulations on what the customers may buy versus Reilu about regulations on what the manufacturers can provide. Reilu's regulations may help obscure OSes indirectly by banning the import of phones that do not follow such regulations - which could include all major OSes if the regulations are draconian enough.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Reilu View Post

World is not a open and fair nowadays, but it gave Sailfish OS a opportunity. One reason for forming Sailfish OS Russia could be to prevent Obama from blocking russian mobile phones. It was possible, because US controlls Google and Apple. If You do not believe, then remember Wikileaks. They were prevented from having donations throught Visa or Mastercard. I do not think there was any law against it, but all US companies refused to serve them nevertheless.

Future shows what is to come. I expect better than previous year. There is interesting times ahead and I really hope for a new Sailfish phone.
And as of January 20th 2017 Obama is no longer the President of America.
And the new President has started rolling back a lot of what Obama did.

The Following User Says Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post: