Right now I have OS2006 installed. I do not want to disturb my OS2006 and I want to clean install this latest version of OS2007 in to my mmc (right now my mmc do not have any OS) and I want to dual boot between my OS2006 and OS2007.

I guess i didnt use good keyword to search. can some one point me to where it can help me doing this. I need a step by step instructions because I am newbie to Linux and N700.

Thanks in advance

I'd like to add an addendum to the previous question..I'm one of the Nokia 770 noobs. I managed to dual boot so that 2006 is on the mmc card. But I know just enough to be dangerous with this thing. I was hoping someone could point me to instructions on how to install the new 2007he onto the mmc card. I'm assuming the flasher doesn't take into effect the multiple partitions. I just don't want to go pressing buttons and destroy the device.

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Green_Star View Post
Right now I have OS2006 installed. I do not want to disturb my OS2006 and I want to clean install this latest version of OS2007 in to my mmc (right now my mmc do not have any OS) and I want to dual boot between my OS2006 and OS2007.

I guess i didnt use good keyword to search. can some one point me to where it can help me doing this. I need a step by step instructions because I am newbie to Linux and N700.

Thanks in advance
Can't be done... your best bet would be to copy your OS 2006 install to MMC, then install OS 2007HE to internal flash. There's no way to install a new firmware direct to MMC without going via internal flash.

I have yet another possible scenario on my wish list :-)

Right now I have the latest OS2006 with double boot from internal flash (mostly unused) and 512 MB MMC (stock Nokia kernel).

I also have a 2GB MMC waiting for just this new 2007HE to appear...

So what I'd like to do is :

- keep my double-boot (Fanoush already reminded us how to do that),

- flash 2007HE to internal flash for a start,

- flash a new kernel to support 2GB MMC and faster speeds,

- transfer my FAT and ext2 partitions to the 2GB MMC so I can still double-boot between 2006 and 2007HE...

Is this doable by a normal human ? :-)

fpp - isn't the OS 2006 kernel also used in OS 2007HE? So you only need to flash the rootfs from OS 2007HE to your device (see Fanoush's earlier post) and keep the kernel with high speed support.

Try tar'ing your OS 2006 partition that you have on your 512MB MMC (with compression) and see if you can copy the archive off to your new card where you can restore it. As for FAT, just copy it via a PC.

Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
Can't be done... your best bet would be to copy your OS 2006 install to MMC, then install OS 2007HE to internal flash. There's no way to install a new firmware direct to MMC without going via internal flash.
nope it possible but kind of complicated.

in short:

- you have to extract the rootfs from the fiasco image
- copy the jffs2 img to a virtual ram mtdblock
- make a tar
- extract tar to mmc

nokia 770 only used as a mmc card reader for the computer.

anyway I don't recommend that for newbie.

Kos

The Following User Says Thank You to kosmic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Milhouse View Post
fpp - isn't the OS 2006 kernel also used in OS 2007HE? So you only need to flash the rootfs from OS 2007HE to your device (see Fanoush's earlier post) and keep the kernel with high speed support.
I'm a tad out of touch and confused about these kernel issues, never having used the alternatives.

Ever since OS2005 I have just used the stock kernel that came with the latest Nokia image.

But to use my new 2GB MMC or get the faster speed (or maybe both ?), don't I have to also flash a modified kernel like Fanoush's this time ?...

Try tar'ing your OS 2006 partition that you have on your 512MB MMC (with compression) and see if you can copy the archive off to your new card where you can restore it. As for FAT, just copy it via a PC.
Good tip, will try that, thanks.

Originally Posted by fpp View Post
But to use my new 2GB MMC or get the faster speed (or maybe both ?), don't I have to also flash a modified kernel like Fanoush's this time ?...
2GB has been supported by OS 2006 for the last two releases... to get the high-speed MMC support you need to flash your device with one of Fanoush's kernels. My understanding is that Fanoush's high-speed OS 2006 (3.2006.49-2) kernel should work with this release of OS 2007HE.

Originally Posted by kosmic View Post
nope it possible but kind of complicated.

in short:

- you have to extract the rootfs from the fiasco image
- copy the jffs2 img to a virtual ram mtdblock
- make a tar
- extract tar to mmc

nokia 770 only used as a mmc card reader for the computer.

anyway I don't recommend that for newbie.

Kos
Thanks for the correction - what would be nice is a simple set of commands to extract the rootfs which hopefully newbies can follow. I'm assuming it would require mounting the jffs2 filesystem through a loppback or something similar.

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by bunanson View Post

Step by step to take a look of the new 2007He.36. Warning, you are going to lose every installed sw and ALL your data on the 770. This is NOT the recommend way to updating, this is just to take a look see whether you like the new 2007He:

DL the 2007He.36.
1) make a backup of your system (mine is 2007He2006.47.17)
2) install Nokia ITT SW update wizard
3) flash the new He2007.36-2
4) restore your backup if you have He2006.47.17; answer NO when ask about reinstall your older library from your MMC
5) boot up; it restore ALL your websites. You do have to re-install all your favorite SW though.

Initial impression; GUI remains the same as the older He edition. This He edition correctly identify the device as 770 He edition instead of calling the device as N800. In several websites, it is eye blinking fast, for example, the tableer is loading faster than you can see the web page!

enjoy.

bun

Ummmm....I installed He2007.36-2, but the installed version under device is He 4.2007.26-8. Interesting...

bun