Active Topics

As the the title states, the USB broke off my N900 and I need to transfer the files over a wifi connection, what is the best method for this? I installed openSSH Server on the N900 but no appwizard popped up so I'm clueless as to what the password would be. Does anyone know the easiest way to transfer files by WIFI?

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
i am going to say SSH, try to browse the wiki's on howto setup/reset password, you don't need to check maemo wiki, just google "SSH Password" or something and you should find what you need.

Other then that you can as far as i can remember setup a samba share....

If everything else fails and you have the time then you can always resort to bluetooth.

Lastly you are new here, so i don't expect that you have read up on soldering down your USB to prevent it breaking off?

Install ssh-status and connect with winscp.

Originally Posted by iain93 View Post
As the the title states, the USB broke off my N900 and I need to transfer the files over a wifi connection, what is the best method for this?WIFI?
www.jetbytes.com --> no need to setup anything
dropbox
ssh using winscp
ftp server

Whilst others have answered the question... if you currently have an N900 with a limited amount of charge, and unless you have a means to recharge your battery without it, you may get further by dumping any important data to a microSD card instead of fetching it over Wifi.

That depends, obviously, on how much data you are talking about - if it's trivial, then WiFi is fine. Can I also suggest, if you're replacing or repairing the N900, that you might wish to install and use BackupMenu to produce a backup of your rootfs and optfs to an SD card; that will let you restore the OS and settings to a fresh (or repaired) N900. It does not, however, backup /home/user/MyDocs, so preserve your own files manually.

you can use TinySmbgui too