Active Topics

Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
The question is about hardware keyboards in mobile devices for different languages. What characters to put, what characters to sacrifice? You know it's a hot topic and maybe yourself have thought sometimes: why do they put X which I don't used, while Y is missing?
So if "(" wins the vote, is there really going to be a keyboard with a "(" but not a ")"?

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mullf For This Useful Post:
I suppose the email could have been more clear, along the lines that people have suggested. But my first reaction when I got it was how cool it is that direct member input was being solicited about the future of the platform. I hope this continues in the future.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Yes, I had assumed some context would be given in the election. Next time I will provide full text without assuming, sorry.

Having to set preferences is precisely the point since every key counts.

Voting a preferential system based on several languages was even more complicated so we decided to do the survey as it is. The results are anyway orientative and to be taken in the context of further research, including usage of different keyboard variants. Actually if you take out the currency characters, all the rest are mostly equally used or unused in all languages.

And yes, if you like the experiment and there is a wide participation making the survey useful we will think about using this way of gathering feedback in future occasions.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
A thing I miss there are the special/meta/modifer/... characters too

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
If you miss a character then it's either a more stable candidate to show up in a keyboard or something really weird.

btw I have proposed to restart the survey
http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...er/003472.html

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I agree that the email and maemo.org/vote page should have contained more information about what this was about, as it was completely unclear to me. Obviously it's too late to change the emails that were sent out, but can some explanation be added to the web page, to at least inform people who haven't voted or followed the link yet?

Posts: 850 | Thanked: 626 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Vienna, Austria
the new mail is much better, and the voting system works correctly now

Shouldn't ( and ) have been a single item? There's no way anyone would ever have just one of them is there?

Also... different countries get different keyboards anyway, shouldn't we select some kind of country code when we vote or does it automatically register our countries?

The Following User Says Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 600 | Thanked: 742 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ England
I'm missing the option for "provide a four-row keyboard so that we can have ALL of these symbols, AND the caret (^), AND the digits 0-9 without shifting (and also people with accents in their languages can have all four arrow keys unshifted)".

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
What about the ESC key?