Active Topics

Closed Thread
Well, I think it is a good example. I.e. because Visual Studio do not natively use the Windows APIs, but you have to import them if especially interested. Also because software like OpenOffice is made in something completely different, and in addition to Java, there is or has been wide usage of other IDEs like Delphi.

On Windows you have a lot of choices. That's the main point.

That is patently false. There's a metric buttload of Qt software running on Windows, and for most of it you wouldn't even have a clue that it uses Qt.

There are probably more Qt applications running on Windows than there are applications that use Microsoft's own toolkits.

Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
Bad example. Yes, Visual Studio has different languages, but ultimately it is all based on a common SDK. Non-standard SDKs on Windows (Qt, GTK+, tkinter) are second class citizens. People don't develop with those on Windows unless they have to. They also don't have much in common.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tkatchev For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
For example, Debian and Ubuntu, move to use LSB compliant rpm already and stop being stubborn.
Isn't RPM still inferior?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Both formats/tools have areas where they excel and areas where they are less than great. As a trivial example, rpm -qf beats dpkg -S hands down. Oh, and delta-rpms, when deployed properly, rock :-)

IMHO it's a stalemate that will never be resolved unless/until someone comes up with a better alternative and blows both out of the water.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by don_falcone View Post
Nowadays I think it is superior. I use both "weekly/daily".

rpm (at least in Fedora) uses transactions to make sure the system stays consistent even if something nasty like battery goes empty middle of upgrading.

Also secure wise it is more secure policy to have GPG singatures embedded (like in rpm) in each software package than have all packages unsigned and then just whole distribution GPG-signed (like in deb). The deb policy leaves practically nasty MITM vulnerability which has often seen also in t.m.o.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Well, I think it is a good example. I.e. because Visual Studio do not natively use the Windows APIs, but you have to import them if especially interested. Also because software like OpenOffice is made in something completely different, and in addition to Java, there is or has been wide usage of other IDEs like Delphi.
You don't know what you are talking about with VS. Everything is built on top of the Windows API. As for Delphi, that is also built on the Windows API.

On Windows you have a lot of choices. That's the main point.
Except that we aren't talking about a desktop OS. We are talking about a handheld OS, which is much more limited in screen resources, storage and battery power. What makes sense for a desktop system doesn't necessarily make sense for a mobile device. It also doesn't make sense to support many SDKs, particularly since it would be a custom job to adapt the SDK to a mobile interface.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheLongshot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tkatchev View Post
There are probably more Qt applications running on Windows than there are applications that use Microsoft's own toolkits.
You are stretching the realm of believability with that comment.

Also, Qt on Windows does use the Windows API to acheve some of the native look.

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by TheLongshot View Post
It also doesn't make sense to support many SDKs, particularly since it would be a custom job to adapt the SDK to a mobile interface.
Sure, but iOS, android, webOS and Qt are different SDKs that all already have a mobile interface. Not saying that supporting them is easy (especially the platform dedicated ones), but we're not talking about supporting many desktop SDKs but rather many already mobile SDKs.

So, now we are just waiting for announcement, about prototype tizen device "lend" program, for talented developers etc... And some naive dev guys just following another twist
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by caa View Post
Linux-with-Qt-required is BETTER than Linux-with-any-and-EVERY-toolkit-going, for mobile purposes.
ITYM Linux with one toolkit is better than Linux with several. I beg to differ (eg I believe Maemo to have been much superior to Qtopia, precisely because of this freedom of choice), but in any case Tizen's native toolkit appears to be EFL.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
déjà vu, tizen