Active Topics

Posts: 435 | Thanked: 684 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Netherlands 020
I do recommend everybody to send a donation to Jolla instead of buying a product without warrenty. Dave is allready busy preparing a new thread about Jolla's C.
A Linux community/developer phone without HW keyboard.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jellyroll For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I have no problem with Jolla SBJ1 performance whatsoever, so am happy Jolla-C performance is on the same level.
What mostly intrests me HW-wise is the quality of the display and camera; those are the achilles heel of SBJ really.
when someone picks up 212 as a SoC to reach certain price point then I think we can be pretty sure about the quality of other components.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 290 | Thanked: 385 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Madrid, Spain
Hi.

I also ordered one.
This will be the first time I keep pace with the community after 5 years waiting for prices being around 200€ in order to buy.
Hardware prices are certainly going down over time....

Regards.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pasko For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jellyroll View Post
I do recommend everybody to send a donation to Jolla instead of buying a product without warrenty. Dave is allready busy preparing a new thread about Jolla's C.
Warranty is not an issue, They are required by EU law to provide 2 years warranty.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
I am totally sure that the device will arrive in July. I am a tad uncertain whether it will be in 2017 or 2018 though.

Anyway. The fact that in a couple of hours 1k ppl were willing to spend money on a device even though they can neither be certain if it will ever arrive nor if it works if it does shows that there is a market for handheld devices that run Linux.

Donīt get me wrong: I really hope things work out this time.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Veraendert For This Useful Post:
Posts: 654 | Thanked: 2,368 times | Joined on Jul 2014 @ UK
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
when someone picks up 212 as a SoC to reach certain price point then I think we can be pretty sure about the quality of other components.
That was my thought too, I had all kinds of problems with crappy build quality on Jolla 1.

Glad I bought my FP2, it's expensive in comparison but I think it will last a really long time because SFOS is so light weight (it's very fast on here) and it's easy to do repairs because of the availability of spare parts and overall better build quality. Still hoping for official support from Jolla/Fairphone so we can get updates - I don't use AD or exchange so that doesn't bother me.

Hopefully having some more variety in screen sizes in the wild will improve app scaling for everyone, too.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Feathers McGraw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 141 | Thanked: 359 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Warranty is not an issue, They are required by EU law to provide 2 years warranty.
That would work if they sold us the phones.

I think they have arranged it like a developer (and "community" if you like) program, where, if you pay your fee, you get courses, event subscriptions for a year, and then, they "loan" you the device, with the clause that you can keep it after the subscription ends.

It makes kind of sense as a developer program, if I were not interested in tinkering with it, I would not think about getting on the program.

On the other hand, they say they will reimburse/replace the device if it is dead on arrival, and they will actually try to support it anyway, in a best effort kind of way. That is what I read between the lines of the various statements I have read.

I am not overly worried about the warranty in this case: typically, electronic devices break either immediately, or just after the warranty period has expired (or sometimes they keep working indefinitely).

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mikelima For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by jellyroll View Post
I am? No, sorry. I leave that to you...too bizzy with the tablet and don't want anything todo with this Cphone.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
I would probably tempted to buy... if they could ship it to me. Anyway, hope buyers will receive their phones soon enough!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hedayat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikelima View Post
That would work if they sold us the phones.

I think they have arranged it like a developer (and "community" if you like) program, where, if you pay your fee, you get courses, event subscriptions for a year, and then, they "loan" you the device, with the clause that you can keep it after the subscription ends.

It makes kind of sense as a developer program, if I were not interested in tinkering with it, I would not think about getting on the program.

On the other hand, they say they will reimburse/replace the device if it is dead on arrival, and they will actually try to support it anyway, in a best effort kind of way. That is what I read between the lines of the various statements I have read.

I am not overly worried about the warranty in this case: typically, electronic devices break either immediately, or just after the warranty period has expired (or sometimes they keep working indefinitely).
The warranty is still applicable. Developers, none developers, whatever, money is paid, so they are required to pay attention to any warranty issues. Also, they are selling this on a shop, so, they are obligated to follow consumer laws, not only in EU, but in each country they are shipping to.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla c, sailfish os