Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I had a moment of hope when I read the first post. Oh well, thank you for clarifying. Guess that's it then: no chance of fully working graphics/properly implemented GLES on this device?
On Maemo5, correct. On MeeGo N900 things work fine, try it out sometime. No tearing.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
Another good reason for pushing for the move to MeeGo then!

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnLF For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
On the other hand, if we got just a couple of highly skilled devs to recode the closed source bits that are dependent on kernel version, we could upgrade the kernel for Maemo 5, and this would be less of an issue already.

(Not saying that MeeGo isn't the better way to go, just pointing out for the readers who may not see the connection, that if you can recode the bits that force Maemo 5 to sit on an effectively ancient kernel, you could bring Maemo 5 up to the point where you could more directly port over stuff from MeeGo N900.)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
On Maemo5, correct. On MeeGo N900 things work fine, try it out sometime. No tearing.
It's not that I'm not interested in Meego, I am, very. However, being someone who uses this as my primary device for comms and office-out-of-the-office, I'm a little reluctant to run an OS which isn't as complete as M5 for day-to-day use. Yes, I should give it a go on a memory card. In fact, I'm looking for a new one (shameless thread touting, I know).
Edit:
Sorry, just seen this on the DE page
Flashed with this edition N900 will be usable as a primary phone device for a developer/hacker person.
Guess there's no excuse then. seems I would be able to answer the phone when it's in tinker (Meego) mode. Get me that class 10 card!
Originally Posted by JohnLF View Post
Another good reason for pushing for the move to MeeGo then!
I know, bit depressing, really. I've got to like Maemo and the way it's a phone and then an on-demand pc, which can run an office suite and have BT input and monitor output - amazing!

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
On the other hand, if we got just a couple of highly skilled devs to recode the closed source bits that are dependent on kernel version, we could upgrade the kernel for Maemo 5, and this would be less of an issue already.

(Not saying that MeeGo isn't the better way to go, just pointing out for the readers who may not see the connection, that if you can recode the bits that force Maemo 5 to sit on an effectively ancient kernel, you could bring Maemo 5 up to the point where you could more directly port over stuff from MeeGo N900.)
Thanks, it's not always clear to those not testing and developing Meego nor developing the CSSU, what's possible and what's not. Sounds like it might take someone pretty fly to do this. As Stskeeps said, the driver is not easily ported to M5 so trimming M5 away from its kernel... well, I'm not a driver-programmer so it all seems quite a big deal to me!

The most useful scenario would be if a version of Harmattan were released for the N900, which had all the bug fixes xyz "fixed in Harmattan" (which, btw, has to be one of the biggest cop-outs ever!). And hopefully this OS would also be Meego compliant. Ahhh wishful thinking...

Last edited by demolition; 2011-06-04 at 21:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post

I can already tell you that the BME that sits in Maemo5 will break on 2.6.33-34 or so due to changed semantics of poll() or something like that. And that the communication protocol we have in MeeGo isn't compatible with hald-addon-bme from M5.. I think.

On top of that, there's the issues with modem stack, which is closed source in M5 and I have doubts will work properly on later kernels.. but hey, you might be in luck.

Also, you need to upgrade xorg but that might be simpler.

Perhaps someone could do the try. fbcon should be your best friend.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
I can already tell you that the BME that sits in Maemo5 will break on 2.6.33-34 or so due to changed semantics of poll() or something like that. And that the communication protocol we have in MeeGo isn't compatible with hald-addon-bme from M5.. I think.
Any chance of creating adapter translation layer?

It seems it would be wise to wait to see who will remain in Nokia...

Rich Green is leaving the company.

http://www.taloussanomat.fi/informaa...on/20118123/12