Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Is it possible to install MeeGo onto a "Desktop" type of PC?

E.g. Install Intel-based MeeGo onto a "standard" laptop (e.g. 1.8ghz AMD Athlon, 512mb of RAM, ATI Xpress video card).

This would be very cool. To a certain extent you could do away with a gnome or kde environment and install MeeGo instead.

You home PC & portable device could run exactly the same OS!

I like that idea.

Originally Posted by johnel View Post
Is it possible to install MeeGo onto a "Desktop" type of PC?

E.g. Install Intel-based MeeGo onto a "standard" laptop (e.g. 1.8ghz AMD Athlon, 512mb of RAM, ATI Xpress video card).

This would be very cool. To a certain extent you could do away with a gnome or kde environment and install MeeGo instead.

You home PC & portable device could run exactly the same OS!

I like that idea.
I'm not sure, but from what I understand that's one of the mayor innovative 'features' of MeeGo Platform independancy, being able to easily run the same applications on your desktop and your phone... Or am I wrong here?

awesome stuff ..

So what are ppl doing who have installed it? Are they making apps? I have seen the terminal shots, is the gui installable afterwards? Usb charging working? Any text based browsing (wifi drivers/hardware working?)

I was really excited to post meego's day 1 links to my friends! Thanks intel and nokia.

Lol the best Os Interface, Terminal

Originally Posted by mobiledivide View Post
This is a lot bigger than simply having no Ovi store and no fancy UI available on day 1. If you want something that simply works and has 1000's of apps eye candy etc you will probably be waiting till end of the year. There is a May release that will have UX packages and another release in October.
This space is moving really fast. Development is going to have to be faster than that or Meego is going to get left in the dust. Look how many iPhones apple has sold and Nokia has yet to release an update to Maemo 5, let alone ship Maemo 6.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
from which I know 29940 are useless...

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
from which I know 29940 are useless...
Of iPhone/iPad apps? That's a pretty good %, since they're nearing to 200,000 apps now.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 751 | Thanked: 522 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ East Gowanus
Originally Posted by me2000 View Post
This space is moving really fast. Development is going to have to be faster than that or Meego is going to get left in the dust. Look how many iPhones apple has sold and Nokia has yet to release an update to Maemo 5, let alone ship Maemo 6.
I'm sure all the corporations involved have taken this into consideration. Their strategy I cannot be sure of, but I agree that moving quickly is probably in their best interest. As for myself I am simply a user, I use an N900 daily as my main comms device, have a Symbian 5800 as a backup and keep most of my media and games on an iPod touch 2G. I still find myself most excited by the N900 and meego.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by naabi View Post
Interesting picture, still not as informative as I hoped.
If you have questions about the MeeGo architecture please ask at the meego-dev mailing list.

Tags
yes it's a terminal