Active Topics

Yet, if detailed manually filled change-log would be required to transfer the votes, it might give a rather good indication what needs to be tested again. I agree that whenever and update is released, testing is needed. But how much, depends on the amount and type of changes. Also, it should never mean that it's a completely new app, because that it's not... in most of the cases.

Last edited by Sasler; 2010-01-20 at 18:17.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sasler For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by Sasler View Post
Yet, if detailed manually filled change-log would be required to transfer the votes, it might give a rather good indication what needs to be tested again. I agree that whenever and update is released, testing is needed. But how much, depends on the amount and type of changes. Also, it should never mean that it's a completely new app, because that it's not... most of the cases.
That might work: if the developer believes that the app shouldn't need full re-testing, s/he could apply to have previous votes ported, with a full change-log. Alternatively, s/he would have the choice to simply re-upload the app and start the testing process again.

That would reduce the workload on the 'testing-masters' to only those situations (such as adding a help file) where the dev is very confident that the changes don't affect stability.

The Following User Says Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
I think you highlight a very specific problem though - the issue of votes being lost if a small improvement is made.
Which is raised in every single other discussion about Extras-testing. Seriously, this is fragmenting the discussion and we'll just end up with different sub-groups making the same points over and over again - or, worse, different people thinking different solutions are going to be enacted.

It's also worth mentioning that talk.maemo.org has yet to cover anything which hasn't already been discussed on maemo-developers. I suggest anyone who wants to really get involved and make this better starts reading there, and then the other threads which try to take a step back here.

I move this thread is closed, or merged into one of the many existing ones.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
PS. anyone who thinks that any repackage or change to the source code can't introduce a large and horrible regression has never done any serious programming :-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Thank you for taking me seriously
I always take direct questions seriously. I do not take warnings seriously. Any warning I issue is issued probably for good reason.. but will likely never make any sense .

ETA: I'm with Jaffa and Tex ^^.. should be merged.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Should have been merged three pages ago.

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Should have been merged three pages ago.
Humph. Had someone used "Report This" and suggested a specific, existing thread for the merge, it may have come sooner.

EDIT: Okay, apparently Texrat did do exactly that. (See below.) I haven't received the resulting email message though.

Anyway, the thread "Seriously! Extras-testing procedures stink" with twenty-six posts has been merged into this thread.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2010-01-20 at 19:24.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Humph. Had someone used "Report This" and suggested a specific, existing thread for the merge, it may have come sooner.
I did.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post

Anyway, the thread "Seriously! Extras-testing procedures stink" with twenty-six posts has been merged into this thread.
Yeah, sorry for causing unnecessary work by starting a new thread.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
is this now to be merged with http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=41179
?? just received on for the stinks thread to be merged over to it... whole thread or from which post on?