Did not found a thread about this that really is about this topic, if there is one please shoot me

I wonder if there
a) are indeed a lot of ITT users who ordered the pandora would like to see maemo on the Pandora
b) if the Maemo Community Council would consider to propose to have the pandora as a device listed on maemo.org, which would allow the infrastructure to be used also for the Pandora.
c) If there are poeple with real deep "os skills" who would be interested in actually making a Maemo port to the pandora happening and make some kind of "base distro" for the pandora.
d) if the SDK would would need adaptation to support a "pandora" maemo version.

Last edited by polossatik; 2008-10-12 at 12:54.

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Let me know where and when it becomes available, so I can avoid that site like the black plague.

The Following User Says Thank You to Karel Jansens For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by polossatik View Post
Did not found a thread about this that really is about this topic, if there is one please shoot me

I wonder if there
a) are indeed a lot of ITT users who ordered the pandora would like to see maemo on the Pandora
Can't say for sure, but I'd guess so.
b) if the Maemo Community Council would consider to propose to have the pandora as a device listed on maemo.org, which would allow the infrastructure to be used also for the Pandora.
Seems like putting the cart before the horse; as I understand it, it would make more sense to get Maemo running on Pandora, and then list it as a device...
c) If there are poeple with real deep "os skills" who would be interested in actually making a Maemo port to the pandora happening and make some kind of "base distro" for the pandora.
Not sure how much deep os skills are needed. But if someone were to give me a Pandora (or if the N900 comes out amazingly early before Maemo is ported, and then I decide I like the Pandora better), I'd certainly work on it. You see, unlike Karel, I don't see Maemo as being a bad thing; I see certain Nokia-controlled elements of (currently) the only production Maemo OSes as a bad thing. While an open Maemo OS for Nokia devices should eventually be possible, porting to a non-Nokia device leaves us with a distribution guaranteed to be Nokia-free, and thus totally community-controlled.

Oh, and I think we have more software available than Angstrom, so it's also a big practical benefit.
d) if the SDK would would need adaptation to support a "pandora" maemo version.
I don't believe so. They're the same processor, so an off-device development environment would be identical, as would all non-core-OS elements of an on-device environment. So you do off-device development to get the device-specific OS working, then install the SDK straight onto it. (And then make sure everything still builds, in the name of self-hostingness.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 48 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Canada
a.) I know I would
b.) Don't know
c.) There was a thread on gp32x.com talking about that.
d.) a little

A lot of pandora users are interested in the huge base of software that comes along with maemo and I think it would be beneficial to both communities...

However maemo is not 100% open source and some parts would have to be rewritten. Drivers would also have to be rewritten.

All in all with the coming OMAP3 NIT this would give us compatible software for the OMAP3 NIT before it is out (or closely compatible)

@ John
Yeah, forgot to mention that this was actually due a thread on the forum @ openpandora.org

@Benson, you're correct about point b) , but already asking (assuming maemo can be ported) to see if there are any (political? - not sure how much Nokia is involved in the actual maemo.org stuff) reasons.

I'm afraid I can't shuff out this month another 250 euro to buy you a pandora, sorry my GF finds that I already spend enough at "toys" ...

Edit: is there somewhere a more or less detailed overview of what exactly is closed source (besides HW drivers?) that may need replacement and where there is none yet?

Last edited by polossatik; 2008-10-12 at 15:24.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
Originally Posted by polossatik View Post
This isn't exactly the role of the council; but I wouldn't support listing a device which *could* run Maemo on there until it did run a feature-complete version which a normal end-user could install without problem.

As Benson said, this'd be putting the cart before the horse.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
This isn't exactly the role of the council; but I wouldn't support listing a device which *could* run Maemo on there until it did run a feature-complete version which a normal end-user could install without problem.

As Benson said, this'd be putting the cart before the horse.
I clearly posed the Q in a wrong way, basically I would like to know if, assuming the Pandora could "run a feature-complete version which a normal end-user could install without problem.", there would be a problem for a non-nokia device. If so, then the "pandora" distro would need it's own repository/server/... Hence the Q..

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
If Pandora wants something like Maemo, - the people should start putting interest into for example Ubuntu Mobile (see ARM port at mojo.handhelds.org) or Deblet (http://trac.tspre.org/projects/deblet). It should definately be possible to support most applications from Maemo when there's hildon libraries availiable.

For some work relating to this I've worked on recently, see screenshots at http://bsd.tspre.org/~stskeeps/nit-debian/hildlet6.png (Hildon+Advanced Backlight+xterm), http://bsd.tspre.org/~stskeeps/nit-debian/hildlet4.png (Network-manager + hildon), http://bsd.tspre.org/~stskeeps/nit-d...let-mobile.png (Ubuntu Mobile packages on Deblet).

Debian and Ubuntu are already ported to armel decently, so it's just a matter of people starting to help out with making packages, environments, etc for the tablets. But there's a lot of work to be done, power consumption problems, getting the stuff user friendly, and so on.

But I guess the new open devices will help this development..
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
If Pandora wants something like Maemo, - the people should start putting interest into for example Ubuntu Mobile (see ARM port at mojo.handhelds.org)
I was just going to post that I think it would make more sense to see Ubuntu Mobile on Pandora, than Maemo.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
If Pandora wants something like Maemo, - the people should start putting interest into for example Ubuntu Mobile (see ARM port at mojo.handhelds.org) or Deblet (http://trac.tspre.org/projects/deblet). It should definately be possible to support most applications from Maemo when there's hildon libraries availiable.

But there's a lot of work to be done, power consumption problems, getting the stuff user friendly, and so on...
Sorry to insist but I'm a bit confused now, seen Meamo is already (IMHO) rather "user friendly" and great with power consumption (on my N800 anyway) so why then not use this instead of trying to make those other distro's more "like meamo"?
Or do I miss something obvious?

Tags
maemo, pandora, sdk