Posts: 71 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Malaysia
can i use mobile atlas creator to create google maps file for this application?

Hi,

This is a great app, when i am trying to switch to google maps using CAPS N , it throws error on RED on the top saying that , server not found for google maps? how to fix that ?

Posts: 317 | Thanked: 787 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Krakow, Poland
Originally Posted by fuyoh View Post
can i use mobile atlas creator to create google maps file for this application?
Yes,"OSMTracker tile storage" format is compatible with CloudGPS. See FAQ on first post.

Originally Posted by rrdbala View Post
Hi,

This is a great app, when i am trying to switch to google maps using CAPS N , it throws error on RED on the top saying that , server not found for google maps? how to fix that ?
Connection to google server is blocked somehow, probably because of some firewall. Does it work if you try it on some other network connection (other wifi for example)?

The Following User Says Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dwaradzyn View Post
Connection to google server is blocked somehow, probably because of some firewall. Does it work if you try it on some other network connection (other wifi for example)?
thanks for your quick reply. i tried from home wifi also but still the same. is that could be due to bad address for google maps? if i want to see which addressmhas been used for all these maps, which file should i edit ?

Originally Posted by rrdbala View Post
thanks for your quick reply. i tried from home wifi also but still the same. is that could be due to bad address for google maps? if i want to see which addressmhas been used for all these maps, which file should i edit ?
Adresses for tile providers are stored in /opt/cloudgps/providers.ini file. Please report back if there is something wrong with default content of this file. It works for me though.

Next version will have an option to provide very verbose output for network activity - it should be very helpful in cases like that. I noticed that in some rare cases the urls are resolved to ipv6 addresses leading to "unable to connect to server" errors.

Last edited by dwaradzyn; 2011-06-09 at 18:58. Reason: typo

Google maps works for me using gprs and wifi with the default settings.

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
The problem with connection to Google servers seems to be connected with IPv6 day that happen to be yesterday. Today it seems to work correctly. I will push version 0.4.7 with Google Local search in the evening.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 519 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Malaysia
sorry if this has been asked before cause I'm not sure how this works, lets say I choose the Google maps as the server, then I just leave it on as it downloads or must i do something in order to get the tiles?

thanks for the help
Malaysian N900 user!!!

Originally Posted by Dark_Angel85 View Post
sorry if this has been asked before cause I'm not sure how this works, lets say I choose the Google maps as the server, then I just leave it on as it downloads or must i do something in order to get the tiles?

thanks for the help
To put things simple: CloudGPS downloads only tiles visible on screen. This means that you have to scroll to some area for it to be downloaded. It does not download other areas and currently there is no bulk download option. Once the tile is downloaded it will be saved on device (in MyDocs/.maps directory) and reused in future. When a tile is needed and it is available locally CloudGPS just loads the local copy without any network activity.

Of course this is oversimplification. CloudGPS also aims to display map fragment at all times (and avoid displaying one coloured empty tiles). To achieve this it has to pre-download tiles for a little larger area than presented on screen and also tiles from other zooms.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dwaradzyn For This Useful Post:

Tags
best gps app