Active Topics

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
I would put something like Emulators And Game Management.

In that category things like Webos Game Manager, Flash Launcher or applications for accessing services from XBox and PS3 Internet services can fit as well as emulators and rom managers.

This give me another idea: a good rom manager like Rom Gripper for Android would be very appreciated.

The Following User Says Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
If they choose a category with lesser participation from the beginning and their app fits in that category, there is no problem.
Emulators would fit in "Fun", right? Emulator vs. Game and Emulator vs. Fart App... hmmmm...

The categories don't need to be set in stone before the 1st April. I guess the developer won't base the decision about which app he wants to code on the available categories.
If you have more questions, just ask!
We'll use a voting process similar to the voting process of the maemo community council election. Very hard to cheat in that system...

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
This give me another idea: a good rom manager like Rom Gripper for Android would be very appreciated.
Please update the Wiki accordingly:
http://wiki.maemo.org/MeeGo_Coding_C...ation_proposal

Thank you very much for your support!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
Please update the Wiki accordingly:
http://wiki.maemo.org/MeeGo_Coding_C...ation_proposal

Thank you very much for your support!
Done, now adding some more...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
I would put something like Emulators And Game Management.

In that category things like Webos Game Manager, Flash Launcher or applications for accessing services from XBox and PS3 Internet services can fit as well as emulators and rom managers.
Hmm... Flash Launcher would fit in my opinion into Utilities... Flash is not only for games. And Accessing Services from XBox and PS3 should fit into Network and Communication. (it's very similar to applications like for facebook and twitter - it gets data from the network and shows it in a propper way - and it could provide a system to chat and send messages)

The WebOS Game Manager is a other thing. This could fit into a Emulator and Game Management category. But, there are so much polished Emulators at the moment out there for maemo. Will we really get enought different emulators that joins the competition?
A extra category only for 2 Applications wouldn't work. The last time we had a single Emulator if I remember correct.

Emulators would fit in "Fun", right?
No, I don't think so. I would say Fun is only for small applications and really cool ideas to impress other people. To make them laught or to wonder how it works.
There was a 3D simulation application on youtube last year from a student. He never released the code, but he used the front camera for headtracking and adjusted the screen depending of the angle to create a 3D environment inside the N900 screen. It was not a game. It was more like a tech demo. And perhaps more cooler than a iBeer Application... I saw also something like this using a Wii-Mote from Nintendo.
Edit: Perhaps someone could create a Fun application that combine Front and Back camera - so you see a simulated 3D environment (using headtracking and the front camera) and inside this 3D environment you can see your hand that is recorded with the main camera.

Emulator vs. Game and Emulator vs. Fart App... hmmmm...
Okay, I see. This getting hard even before the first Emulator hits the contest.

If you have more questions, just ask!
Have you asked Reggie if he would place a link to the competition at a prominent place?
Perhaps he could modify the maemo.org Theme... there is a lot of space at the top of this page near the maemo.org Logo. A "Maemo/Meego Development Contest April - June 2011!" sticker with link near it to the wiki page would look very nice.

Last edited by Helmuth; 2011-03-29 at 13:44. Reason: added something to the head tracking idea

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Have you asked Reggie if he would place a link to the competition at a prominent place?
Perhaps he could modify the maemo.org Theme... there is a lot of space at the top of this page near the maemo.org Logo. A "Maemo/Meego Development Contest April - June 2011!" sticker with link near it to the wiki page would look very nice.
Done.

Do we have other opinions regarding the categories?

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2011-03-29 at 14:30.

Reply by Reggie:
Sure! I can maybe add a banner at the upper right, above the right sidebar. I just need for someone to create a 245(w) x 100(h) banner.

Email me the banner and I'll add it on the theme.

Reggie
Any volunteer designer out there?

A designer would be great.

As you can see below, I won't call myself a designer...
It's simply ugly ****...
And for my defense, 245(w) x 100(h) is a very limited area.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip MCC2011.zip (21.7 KB, 89 views)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Okay, perhaps the second try...
Attached Images

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Reply by Reggie:

I made a request thread on design section. Hope it will help.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to b0unc3 For This Useful Post:

Tags
coding, community, competition, contest, development, intel, meego, meetmeego, nokia