[Sorry if this is a repost question but could not find it by searching.]

So, I am on AT&T in the US. I am seriously thinking of getting the N9 but how would I convince AT&T to give me a micro SIM for it? Don't tell me I need to get a iPhone.. wonder if they would believe me if I lied I got an iPhone from overseas and need the SIM for it?

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Viipottaja View Post
[Sorry if this is a repost question but could not find it by searching.]

So, I am on AT&T in the US. I am seriously thinking of getting the N9 but how would I convince AT&T to give me a micro SIM for it? Don't tell me I need to get a iPhone.. wonder if they would believe me if I lied I got an iPhone from overseas and need the SIM for it?
You will have to cut it down yourself because i don't think AT&T will supply one AND you got to actually get the N9 first, this might be your problem.

If your cutting skills are as poor as mine this might help: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/stainle...iphone-4-41275

I'm sure it can be had for cheaper if you shop around. Standard FYI applies, 4 weeks shipping for DX (Hong Kong, China) to US.

Don't tell them you have a N9, though the IMEI is probably in their system anyway. So they may force a smartphone data plan.

Last edited by linuxeventually; 2011-10-02 at 12:36.

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ New Hampshire, US
Originally Posted by linuxeventually View Post
Don't tell them you have a N9, though the IMEI is probably in their system anyway. So they may force a smartphone data plan.

Does the N9 even support AT&T's 3G band? (don't bother complaining aboute the lack of AT&T's "4G" - they are the worst liars of all 4 cellcoms)
I don't know about that. They haven't detected my N900 yet, or my wife's C1. It seems like they only have phones they sell in their database.

The N9 is a penta-band phone. It supports all of the 3G frequencies and so should work on AT&T's 3G.

1. Cut yourself OR
2. Buy a cutting tool OR
3. Go to AT&T and tell them you need a micro sim (It's just a sim). Tell them you have N9 and I don't see a problem getting it. OR
4. Go to a local mall and look around the kiosks where they sell iPhones, where they wrap iphones, they have cutting tools and will gladly cut for you.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Go to the store. It'll be free.

They already offer micro-SIMs for the iPhone 4 and iPad 3G.

If the N9 needs a microSIM, then HIVST&T will give you a microSIM, they are carrier.

If you can't do it yourself, an asian lady may do the job for you, look for her in the mall near cheap accessories.

Thanks all (except Kangal, although yours was mildly funny) for the advice! Cannot believe that folks actually need to cut regular sims down.. what is this, the 20th century?

I'll first try to get one from AT&T but if not, I guess I have to go the cutting route.

Why shouldn't they provide you with a microSIM?

I'm on T-Mobile Germany and they are carrying iPhone 4 as well. I just asked them for a microSIM and 2 days later I had it in my hands. They didn't ask questions why I'd need one or any other things...

AT&T will likely attempt to charge you for a microSIM unless you are re-upping your contract.

Buy a clean one off a local seller for $5 if they won't give you one.