Does the n900 has digital compass? ive read somebody say yes, and somebody say no, can anybody please confirm, if the answer is yes, how can i use it? is it possible to have access to it from python?

thanks in advance

seb.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
No.......................

Inside Ovi maps, one of the buttons on the lower left bottom.
You can click on the North button to rotate the map orientation...

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ San Diego, CA
Originally Posted by alexei View Post
Inside Ovi maps, one of the buttons on the lower left bottom.
You can click on the North button to rotate the map orientation...
true but that doesnt mean theres a builtin compass. ur simply manually rotating the map. the map also rotates when ur driving according to the change in position i believe... in other words no builtin compass

The gps recognizes N, S, E, W based on the sat lock and the direction the phone is moving in and orients the map accordingly, hence the map's ability to rotate.

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
it's quite sad really that N97 got the compass but the N900 which using the same GPS chip but losing the compass. I don't know why would they do that to a good device. Should have left the compass in for developer to make use of it.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Why give overcomplicated answers to confuse the issue further?

Digital compass = no.

PS: No, a GPS cannot replicate the functionality of a digital compass.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
it's quite sad really that N97 got the compass but the N900 which using the same GPS chip but losing the compass. I don't know why would they do that to a good device. Should have left the compass in for developer to make use of it.
acctually the n00 has a better GPS unit. i think its one of the best

I've not been that bothered about a compass before -- sure, helpful for navigation, but once you start moving the problem goes away.

Then a friend showed me a great "star gazing" app on his iphone which displays star constellations etc aligned with where the phone is pointing. Actually very nice & useful (for some people!)

So, compass=good, but don't have it. Netx phone perhaps..

Originally Posted by planetf1 View Post
I've not been that bothered about a compass before -- sure, helpful for navigation, but once you start moving the problem goes away.

Then a friend showed me a great "star gazing" app on his iphone which displays star constellations etc aligned with where the phone is pointing. Actually very nice & useful (for some people!)

So, compass=good, but don't have it. Netx phone perhaps..
Try stellarium

Tags
give it up