Closed Thread
what are we worried about a self-hosted site with a descent web space costs less than a N9... even cheaper if we take a 5year package...

The Following User Says Thank You to immi.shk For This Useful Post:
Well, qgil gave us a warning and what I take from the quote he is also working on getting more info about the faith of *.maemo.org. So I don't see any reason to blame qgil here, in fact we should thank him for the work he is still doing for us in these hard times.

Secondly, *.maemo.org has much more infrastructure than just the website and the forum.
As said in my other post, I think we should get in contact with the people hosting us. To do this in a organized and controlled fashion we should at first organize ourselves and see who can be the correct person/s to handle this.
Furhtermore, we need to identify all parts of our infrastructure we rely on. Imho this is also much more than just *.maemo.org. The OBS @MeeGo, e.g., is not only important for Harmattan but also for Nemo/Mer.

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
@abill_uk - I don't think it matters very much what qgil will say here, all that matters is do WE(as a community) have the resources and will to move on without Nokia babysitting us. If qgil feels a part of that community he will act like a part of it and will abandon PR type speaking. But it is his right to try to keep his job in those hard times, I suspect he has a family to take care of.
Thanks for the reply but i disagree with you because Qgil is directly linked with Nokia and as you said his pr talk is not much help even if he does have to keep his job, all we need is concrete information regarding Nokia so everyone knows whats going on.

As the post above this explains it is not a lot of money to keep this site going but what about the staff on here that obviously need funds to do there job properly.

Posts: 273 | Thanked: 463 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Athens
You have to love the new nokia. If income from our shitty products can't pay the bill well don't change those just shrink the company as much as we can. The logic train just left the station.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Zoxir For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Thanks for the reply but i disagree with you because Qgil is directly linked with Nokia and as you said his pr talk is not much help even if he does have to keep his job, all we need is concrete information regarding Nokia so everyone knows whats going on.

As the post above this explains it is not a lot of money to keep this site going but what about the staff on here that obviously need funds to do there job properly.
even being a NOKIA employee, he is not a NOKIA spokesperson and is thus not allowed to make official statement on NOKIA behalf's.
period.
don't blame him not doing something that would eventually get him fired

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Reading between the lines of the text that Quim pointed to, it seems obvious to me that his job appears to be under threat, if indeed he is not already on notice.

Quim's been here a long time and has always been friendly to this community and has fought our corner, but does (especially in the last 18 months or so) need to be cagey about what he is allowed to say.

Remember that he is an official Nokia employee and representative here, and that Nokia has been moving at some pace away from Maemo/Meego. I suspect that he has done a lot of fighting behind the scenes for this community within Nokia that we will never know about.

The community needs to determine what needs hosting and in what manner - what about advertising?

There was a post a while ago which suggested reverting back to Internettablettalk - I think for longevity that is a decent idea, and embrace devices like the Galaxy Note which seem to be in the spirit of the N800. Especially where they are used more as a mini tablet as we have always used the Nokia devices since the 770.

This community has always been innovative, supportive, and intelligent, as well as technically knowledgeable, and to me at least has a unique feel compared with Android communities, and it would be great to keep that feeling alive.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Point taken Misterc and i think the time has really come now for every single member of this community to be understanding and as helpful as can be from here on, it is obvious the seriousness has been upped a few notches in the last 48 hours or so.

Off topic but i just looked at that N950 on ebay, bloody hell it went for £920 !!!!.

Well done mrsellout, you really have taken that post out of context and blown it out to huge proportions by creating such an alarmist thread. :/

Please change the topic title as this is definitely NOT official!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I think it's pretty bizarre that qgil should make such a momentous statement in the Let's Talk Stock! thread, of all places.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
citation needed