Notices

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by chill View Post
Hmmm, can you be a little bit more specific (I may be missing something, sorry)? The light turns off when the specified time has elapsed AND the light sensor indicates "darkness"?
Specifically, the light should turn off after X minutes of _continuous_ use. If the light sensor value falls below your specified target level, the LED turns on, and it stays on continuously for the entire timeout period specified in the preferences panel, the light will be shut off.

So, the example I used: I go to the preferences panel, check the "Enable Torch Timer" box, and then set the "Time Torch stays lit" to 1. Then, I exit the preferences panel, switch to the Light Sensor panel, check the "Start torch at specified sensor value" box, and set the "Minimum Sensor Value" to some number that is larger than what the ambient light sensor is reporting. The LED should then turn on. Now, if I wait for one minute, the LED should turn itself off.

(I should note that If the ambient light level should go back above the specified target level, and then drop down again, the LED will turn itself back on...)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
I see, thanks for the explanation. The above implies that:

a) the timer is restarted when the room light level goes above the specified, so your 1 minute starts from zero if you turn the ceiling light on in the room.

b) suppose the LED is off, the ceiling light is on, and the target light level is very low. Once you exit the Light Sensor panel, Lanterne will not turn the LED on even if you turn off the ceiling light. At least this is what I'm observing.

Correct?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chill For This Useful Post:
P. S. It doesn't seem to be possible to set a target light level that has more than two digits, at least not by typing it in. If I type in three digits with the on-screen keyboard, one disappears, and with the physical keyboard the third digit doesn't even appear.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chill For This Useful Post:
a) the timer is restarted when the room light level goes above the specified, so your 1 minute starts from zero if you turn the ceiling light on in the room.
Yeah, actually, the timer starts every time the LED turns on, and is cleared every time the LED turns off. (Or, at least that's what it should be doing.) So any function in Lanterne that leaves the LED on should be affected by the timeout value.

b) suppose the LED is off, the ceiling light is on, and the target light level is very low. Once you exit the Light Sensor panel, Lanterne will not turn the LED on even if you turn off the ceiling light. At least this is what I'm observing.
Ah, actually, I only run the light sensor function while the panel is up. Once you exit the light sensor panel, Lanterne stops checking the light level and turns off the LED...

It doesn't seem to be possible to set a target light level that has more than two digits, at least not by typing it in.
Er, yeah, that's my fault. I've got the Qt spinbox limit set at 2 digits. (I've never used the ambient light sensor before, so I didn't really know what kind of values it returns...) I've now seen 4-digit values when I subject it to really bright light, so I suppose I should at least give it that much. (Although, I can't really imagine that this functionality is of any use in bright conditions. I have a hard enough time imagining it being useful in dark conditions... )

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
I see, thanks for the explanation. The above implies that:
Correct?
yup you got the facts right you need to be in the light sensor panel to use it and the timer is to stop the led after configured time when lit . So the timer starts when led is on and resets itself when led turns off

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Dear buddy got a nasty idea again if you succed in the double tap to turn of screen and using a part of the touchscreen to toggle the flashlight then it would be handy if the volume - could increase and decrease the flashlight power.

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
if you succed in the double tap to turn of screen and using a part of the touchscreen to toggle the flashlight then it would be handy if the volume - could increase and decrease the flashlight power.
Interesting ideas! But, I'm not sure they are feasible; it may be possible to work with the touchscreen while the backlight is off, but (as you note) it's awfully hard to do more than just tapping the entire screen, as you can't get any feedback. Worse, there's only one approved setting for using the white LED as a torch, so you really can't increase or decrease the power. (I suppose it could be done with the red LED, though; I could give that a try...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
If i remember correctly i have used brightness setting in pierogi tough it is considerd dangerous for torch it can be an option to enable by user to step by step increase and decrease by volume buttons it can be useful as i used torch in lowest setting and many a times felt the need to increase the brightness momenterily to have a clearer and far vison in the dark room or alley and as for backlight i used to turn it off via a command when sunbathing outdoors so maybe if the program is made to recognise double tapping then it can trigger the command to turn off backlight and lock the app ui partialy to use half of the digitizer as a toggle . Whatever the case the program is still heavily useful and adding features would just increase a tad of bloat and a bit of feature rich or say minor enancements in some caces....................................also good luck with your android phone hope to see the ir beast in action . I might get a irdroid finally

Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
it can be useful as i used torch in lowest setting and many a times felt the need to increase the brightness momenterily to have a clearer and far vison in the dark room or alley
Yeah, it is possible to drive the LEDs beyond the limits specified in the (admittedly sparse) documentation available; and, in fact, Estel has apparently been doing just that with his personal copy of Lanterne... But I'm too nervous about the potential damage to the phone from overdriving the LEDs, so I'm going to avoid adding that feature to Lanterne myself.

But yeah, I do need to try and play around with the backlight again.

also good luck with your android phone hope to see the ir beast in action . I might get a irdroid finally
After having an Android for a week now, I've gotta say, the software is a royal pain, but the hardware is amazing. I guess this shouldn't come as a surprise, but the IR LED on the HTC One is just way more powerful than the one on the N900. I can control TVs from twice the distance, and even bounce the signal off walls. Compared side-by-side with the remote control that came with my Sanyo TV, it's still relatively weak; but I'll bet it wouldn't have as much trouble dealing with Sony devices as the N900 does...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Whats up on irandroid

Tags
flashlight, lanterne, morse code, nokia n900, strobe light, torch