Active Topics

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
I don't see a 800x480 framebuffer there...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Then it might be caused by bad drivers or the external framebuffer or both, but not because of gameboy hardware.

The Following User Says Thank You to derhorst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Apparently I've missed a ton from the Mer, to Mer^2 to MeeGo talk and how that will play out on my N810. But apparently it means that I'll be stuck with OS2008 and nothing else will ever happen on my "open" device... ever. I'll never be able to flash my device with the newest OS of anything directly.

If that's the case, why can't it just be said?
From what I can see, there is still hope of getting a usable MeeGo on the N8x0. I've heard of roadblocks to the other projects, but not to that one. If I see that there is no hope, then I will clone Diablo onto my 2GB internal card. Until then, I'm saving it.

If you want to adopt a different perspective, that it certainly your right.

Last edited by buurmas; 2010-04-29 at 18:21. Reason: added link to thread

The Following User Says Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
Nokia didn't abandon anything. Developers are abandoning it!
Nokia didn't abandon anything? You mean they're still offering new OS upgrades and patches and support for the N800/N810/N810WE? Where can I get me a new kickstand? Yeah.. there's more to 'support' than saying you're supporting. You sort of have to, you know, SUPPORT it. The developers are abandoning it because it's extremely frustrating to deal with Nokia's "support". I certainly don't feel that I can recommend Nokia products to any business or even person anymore for the lack of reliable support in ANY form.

Just look at how you need to _prod_ developers to NOT remove support for the N8x0 from their apps. Certain person here removed N8x0 support entirely from a certain piece of code that I made "just because he could" (then fortunately added it back when requested). It's hard to convince developers to develop for a platform they don't have!
Might that not be because they prefer to release TESTED code? Besides that, why add code for abandoned devices when you can clean it up and aim for devices that are much better supported by their vendor and users? As I said--the Nokia tablets do appear to feel like the C64/Amiga/Atari's during their waning years--with the same enthusiastic but small religious base of users who cannot clearly see a failing platform (therefor letting it languish instead of letting the company see their faults to improve).

MeeGo is already on the N8x0 (if MeeGo ever gets a default OSS tablet UI, not twm, we'll see ;P ).
Where can I get me Meego to use? Can I finally tell my sister, my mom, family, friends and associates to go ahead and download because FINALLY they have a good use for their N8x0 again? Or are you trying to pass off a bare terminal screen is a whole OS already? Until it's ready--it's just yet another Nokia N8x0 promise that I'll believe when I see. Been burned too many times to have any faith in Nokia or even the community of development around it anymore.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
I've continued the thread here, so we can get a fresh view on these drivers. Honestly, it does look quite in reach to fix these things.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Ah, so now I can keep the discussion ongoing on this one thread >.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Nokia didn't abandon anything? You mean they're still offering new OS upgrades and patches and support for the N800/N810/N810WE?
No! Note my post: I mentioned that they haven't abandoned Mer, MeeGo (for obvious reasons). I own a N810, do you seriously think I still believe I get monthly updates for it?

See, my point is that I do not see any real developer interest in the N8x0. If you really want better N8x0 support, one of the first steps is doing what Addison (for example) is doing; poking developers who don't release their apps also for the N8x0, specially those who could easily go for it with few changes.

Might that not be because they prefer to release TESTED code?
Exactly, which only goes to prove that they won't develop for a platform they don't have -- which only goes to prove that the reason they don't develop for it is because nobody has it...

Recent example: why does the team of cowboy Opera developers release its new mobile browser for both the N8x0 and N900? Why such an emphasis on the onscreen keyboard? Well, because ONE of the developers has a N800.

Where can I get me Meego to use? Can I finally tell my sister, my mom, family, friends and associates to go ahead and download because FINALLY they have a good use for their N8x0 again?
Hmm... why doesn't the N8x0 as it is now offer a good use????? Why do you think a Nokia-blessed QT shell is going to give good use for their N8x0s again?

If you're thinking "same API", well, MeeGo is fortunately open source -- everything the N900 gets the N8x0 and even the iPhone get. As I said, the N8x0 has ALREADY got this. Yes, your sister, your mom, family & friends can develop & release apps for MeeGo and get them to run on the N8x0.

But I still doubt that even a unified API will mean the N8x0 gets all the N900 apps, as much as I doubt that a unified API means MeeGo Netbook gets all the same applications as the MeeGo Handset.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
I think we are going a bit off topic here guys.

How does this relate to the 3D acceleration drivers issue?

The Following User Says Thank You to gaweph For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gaweph View Post
I think we are going a bit off topic here guys.

How does this relate to the 3D acceleration drivers issue?
This thread is now for complaining and arguing. On-topic discussion has been moved here:
talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=654109

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
http://focus.ti.com/general/docs/wtb...emplateId=6123

In case this information helps at all

Ah, was browsing the web and found the following article...

Intel's Poulsbo Driver A Bloody Mess?

What a surprise when they explained that this Poulsbo driver is actually for hardware from ImgTec, aka PowerVR.

Last edited by javispedro; 2010-06-26 at 22:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post: