So my wife just washed my 5 week old black Finnish 64 GB N9 with the dark laundry (kind of thought I should have gotten a white one exactly for these visibility issues). Anyway, it's dead as a door nail, and I don't think I'll even bother to take it to Nokia Care here in Perth Australia - since it's not even under an Australian guarantee and I doubt that water damage is covered anyway.
So, after lots of tears, she's stepped up to the plate and is willing to buy me another one - but they are sooooo expensive here that I thought I would get it from the place I bought the original one, atgsm in NY, and have them send it to me here in Australia. Any Australians have an idea what the best way to do this would be to minimize customs import duties?

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by efeinblatt View Post
So my wife just washed my 5 week old black Finnish 64 GB N9 with the dark laundry (kind of thought I should have gotten a white one exactly for these visibility issues). Anyway, it's dead as a door nail, and I don't think I'll even bother to take it to Nokia Care here in Perth Australia - since it's not even under an Australian guarantee and I doubt that water damage is covered anyway.
So, after lots of tears, she's stepped up to the plate and is willing to buy me another one - but they are sooooo expensive here that I thought I would get it from the place I bought the original one, atgsm in NY, and have them send it to me here in Australia. Any Australians have an idea what the best way to do this would be to minimize customs import duties?
Aren't you home insured? Accidents at home should be covered...

Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
My friend has dipped his galaxy note in hair oil and he is selling it now in just 20 $ lol

BTW i though there was some flood around this thread!

get your smooth live wallpaper today
My YouTube videos

You should split the cost with your wife. It's not her fault you left it in your pants pocket is it?

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by efeinblatt View Post

Prices are actually good in Oz, even compared to to EU/Asia, & def. compared to US.
Have you tried any decent shopping search engines???
They'll reveal the online retailers out there with the best prices.
OTTOMH mobicity & mobileciti are two very good ones.
One of them doesn't do Australian stock though IIRC (slightly cheaper as a result).
Price has dropped heaps in the last 3-months or so...

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-03-17 at 15:06. Reason: typo

Posts: 417 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ At your mom's house, with my feet up!
You can probably sell the micro usb door and sim try to recoup some cost. Im sure someone would buy the body on ebay.

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rotterdam, port to Europe !
Let it dry out for a long time (months). I have an Ericsson T65 (~2000-2001 ?) that had a full spin in the washing machine (3hrs @ 50C) and is stil working.....

1) open all the possible ports n9 is having eg sim port, micro usb..
2) keep n9 in standing position a bit tilted on the screen side.. with sim slot facing up
3) take a blow dryer, fix it at a safe distance form n9.. not too close.. at a safe distance so n9 can get the heat via hot air frm it...
4) keep it running as long as possible...approx 3hrs as much as your dryer can handle.. its cheaper then n9 anyways..
5) hopefully moisture will get released from the top slots..
6) don't turn it on yet..
7) bury it in a pot full of rice... the rice will absorbe all its remaining moisture in 1 or 2 days...
9) turn on your N9.. Hopefully it will Work. "where is 8(I don't like 8)..

GODbless you

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to immi.shk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 256 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Europe
Originally Posted by immi.shk View Post
7) bury it in a pot full of rice... the rice will absorbe all its remaining moisture in 1 or 2 days...

GODbless you
Very good point about rice. Well thought through.

The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSkies For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by immi.shk View Post
1) open all the possible ports n9 is having eg sim port, micro usb..
2) keep n9 in standing position a bit tilted on the screen side.. with sim slot facing up
3) take a blow dryer, fix it at a safe distance form n9.. not too close.. at a safe distance so n9 can get the heat via hot air frm it...
4) keep it running as long as possible...approx 3hrs as much as your dryer can handle.. its cheaper then n9 anyways..
5) hopefully moisture will get released from the top slots..
6) don't turn it on yet..

GODbless you
Ah the old hair dryer and rice trick, I've seen someone employ that before!
YMMV but worth a shot, unless he just wants an excuse to get a shiny new N9

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-03-17 at 18:31.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post: