Originally Posted by Daneel View Post
This reminded me of a few futuristic movies i've seen (Alien) where the world is run by corporations and not governments, its probably like that already, just not so public
But as Romney says: Corporations are people!

The Following User Says Thank You to Viipottaja For This Useful Post:
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Soylent Green is people!!!
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Actually both have issued denials, but I know from direct personal experience that those sorts of denials mean nothing.

If WP had > 50% market share, it would make some sense. WP has only 1% and purchasing Nokia will only alienate the others, Samsung in particular. It is not going to happen.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
If WP had > 50% market share, it would make some sense. WP has only 1% and purchasing Nokia will only alienate the others, Samsung in particular. It is not going to happen.
That's what many thought the day before Google bought Motorola.

Usually those saying "never" are the most surprised. I learned to take it out of my vocabulary eons ago... and replace it with "doubtful, but..."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
The one part of this whole deal that bothers me... Motorola has 17,000 patents, 7,500 patent applications... and that's more or less what Google was after.

Microsoft isn't after those. They have enough damaging patents to effectively demand - or strong arm if you really want to say it more correctly - money from Android handset manufacturers. At the rate that Oracle, Apple and Microsoft as well as Google are going out for patents for an upcoming patent war that basically the consumer will lose the most; we're not talking (at least here at TMO) about the patents that Nokia has.

Or better yet, those patents that Nokia has licensed to Apple and others. Hadn't Nokia and Qualcomm made a friendly deal in 2008? Hadn't Nokia and Apple made another deal in 2010? Now they're working with Microsoft in 2011?

Nokia's position is an odd one... almost in the middle of it all. And if Microsoft were to buy Nokia, they will have to make deals with Qualcomm and Apple.

It's almost as if it would be better for them to go out of business. Or if Intel were to snap them up, then let Intel deal with it - they're coming in from a different angle than the others.

Let's see happens.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Or if Intel were to snap them up, then let Intel deal with it - they're coming in from a different angle than the others.
Funny, I was just now discussing that with a co-worker who also used to be in telecom. I said essentially what you did but went further: for Intel, a Nokia purchase would fill in a big gap. It would make good business growth sense, and even the brand would be useful. For most of the other speculative suitors, it's more about asset acquisition-- particularly patent weaponry.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Well, the obvious problem for Microsoft is that whoever buys Nokia is also going kill the whole WP7 strategy on first day. If MS waits too long and the price drops again, then someone can try to takeover Nokia and MS ends up in nasty bidding war.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to umo120 For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
That's what many thought the day before Google bought Motorola.

Usually those saying "never" are the most surprised. I learned to take it out of my vocabulary eons ago... and replace it with "doubtful, but..."
I didn't say "never" by the way Google purchasing Motorola makes sense (too Google at least). Microsoft purchasing Nokia makes no sense to anyone, Microsoft included. That is the difference.

Intel may want to do lots of things, but even if they do want to purchase Nokia that is guarantied never to happen.

As far as I'm concerned, Google has purchased Motorola and it is the beginning of the end for Android as we know it, and that's it. Suddenly every other mobile OS seems that much more attractive.

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
I didn't say "never" by the way Google purchasing Motorola makes sense (too Google at least). Microsoft purchasing Nokia makes no sense to anyone, Microsoft included. That is the difference.

Intel may want to do lots of things, but even if they do want to purchase Nokia that is guarantied never to happen.

As far as I'm concerned, Google has purchased Motorola and it is the beginning of the end for Android as we know it, and that's it. Suddenly every other mobile OS seems that much more attractive.
ericsson-- you're saying "never" in that post! And previous ones! so... (please don't get hung up in semantics... I'm talking about the meaning, not wording)

You're also presenting your opinion as fact... and, ironically, illogically to boot. The events you say "make no sense to anyone" do in fact make perfect sense to many, and very strong reasons why have been presented here and elsewhere. No one else is bound by your singular and (sorry) naive take on things.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I agree that Nokia seems too big and expensive to buy, but I also realize that Motorola Mobile (MM) is pretty pricey too. Let's break down the numbers:

Google agreed to buy MM and it's 706 patents for $12.5 billion. Nokia has 2,655 patents. Someone mentioned earlier that Nokia would be something like a $30 billion purchase. Patent ratio wise, that would be better value than the MM agreement...
Attached Images

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jschan For This Useful Post:

Tags
gogle-mogle, google motorola, motogoogle, motogrogle, never say never