Found the answer to my question on howardforums. Basically the prox sensor is only in use when the call is active on 5800, n97.

Lets hope the N900 doesn't follow the same implementation because the screen is much more sensitive. It guess a swipe to answer would be a better implemention

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=1576285

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bugelrex For This Useful Post:
I found that the slide to answer option is natively included in the n97, and appears when you receive a call anf the screen is initially locked (but not in the 5800).
See "n97 swipe to answer" on google for screenshots. I hope it will be included in n900, even if the n97 screen captures look ugly compared to htc or apple solutions.

Last edited by peio; 2009-10-05 at 22:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to peio For This Useful Post:
I found these images:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to handrea For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdTj3d148UI . That looks like it would be useful for N900.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Doesn't having proximity sensors on all the time add to battery drain? Seems that some hardware keys on the face of the phone would have been a better option. Call, End and Home would have been good. Looks like plenty of room around the bezel.

If the proximity sensors are based on capacitive change, they tend to draw more current than accelerometer sensors that are also on the device. Seems to add complexity to the design when hard keys would cover it.

Am I off base big time here?

Last edited by Rushmore; 2009-10-06 at 13:33.

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Doesn't having proximity sensors on all the time add to battery drain? Seems that some hardware keys on the face of the phone would have been a better option. Call, End and Home would have been good. Looks like plenty of room around the bezel.
Certainly no more than backlighting 2 or 3 large buttons.

If the proximity sensors are based on capacitive change, they tend to draw more current than accelerometer sensors that are also on the device.
Proximity sensors are just little IR beams. See my earlier post on the subject.

Seems to add complexity to the design when hard keys would cover it.
Maemo is a mobile computer first and a phone second, having two big buttons on the front would interfere with its use as a mobile computer for very little benefit to the phone functionality.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdTj3d148UI . That looks like it would be useful for N900.
But at present this tool is not available for the Maemo OS, correct?

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Correct....

Micky at nokiausers.net has the final answer on this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXgqp0SEoc8

Basically the prox sensor does not help in answering a call accidentally. Looks like the only way to ensure no accidental answering is to lock the screen before you place in pocket...

But means you have to unlock the screen and then click answer to answer the call. 2 step process unfortunately

It should be one step if it's anything like the previous tablets. Alarms and Phone calls over-ride the lock usually. It won't give you full access to the system, but you can still press the answer/hang up or turn off/snooze function.

Edit: Seems like if it's locked mode the screen just remains dark.. interesting

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2009-10-17 at 23:37.