Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
After resolving all other issues I had with my as-new-but used N810 I was left with the backplate where the battery goes having some 'play'. It would move up/down/left/right 2-3 mm - not much but enough to give the whole device somewhat of a 'un-sturdy' feel to it.

Then last night I remembered that I had the exact problem years ago with a Palm Treo 600/650...and the way I fixed it was by folding a piece of paper and putting it inside of the battery lid...so...I just tried it out. I folder a piece of paper about the length of the battery compartment. Slid on the lid..and...the back is now rock-solid

DIY the easy way
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Sorry I don't quite understand your instructions. Where exactly is the "lid" of the battery?

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by ch88xy View Post
Sorry I don't quite understand your instructions. Where exactly is the "lid" of the battery?
On an N810 the battery is behind a small metal plate on the back of the device. You open up the plate by folding out the stand and sliding the little button there to the side.
After the lid is taken off I just folded up a piece of paper about the size of the backplate and put the lid back on again.

It's incredible, to me, how much more robust the device now feels
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Got you. So the lid of the battery is the back plate of the N810. BTW I find it very difficult to open and (esp.) close the lid. When closing, my tip is to put the lower right hook in place first, then tuck in the upper right tab (while you are doing this, the left side will tilt downward). Follow by tucking in the upper left tab. Finally snap the lower left part (forgot the shape) in place.

Can't say I have any big issues opening and closing it....the only 'issue' I had was that it wasn't a snug/secure fit back there. But that seems to be 'fixed' now

Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
@silvermountain

Yet another reason to send that pos back and get a brand new one.

My brand new n810 came with the "play" problem prefixed. There is a little metal tab coming off the back-plate that keeps the battery in place.

If i had a camera, i would take a picture. (I could use the n810 camera i suppose, but i'm lazy, and the pic prolly wouldnt turn out good enough to see any way, cuz the the n810 camera is poopy.)

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Mexico City, Mexico
I had exactly the same issue with my N810. (I had forgotten about it also, since this happened long time ago).

The culprit was actually the battery moving within is place, not the back-plate itself.

The way I fixed it is: opening the battery back-plate (door), taking out the battery and putting UNDER the battery about 2 or 3 little "micro-balls" (for a lack of a better name) of that sticky gel like substance (mucuos like) that they use nowadays in magazines to hold sticked to the magazine inserts, coupons, brochures, etc... I just hope you know what I mean.

I decided on using this substance since: it is innert, you can clean it very easily, while is sticks stuff together it is NOT a glue (permanent) thing.

Let me know your comments.

Also, if anyonw knows the name of that gel substance, would be interesting to learn about it.

Kind regards.

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
I think it's the stuff you get when you recycle Post-Its.