Active Topics

Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
i know that,but i dont care of america, the plus worth for european citizen is to have a producer in europe with guarantee of privacy laws and without nsa scroogle
I think the point is that this so called alliance won't move a finger because they signed a contract with the chocolate factory and the EU is looking into that in order to nullify that (those?) clause(s) in the EU.

I don't care about the US although I do feel sorry for the good folks there.

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 485 | Thanked: 708 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Galiza
There's still a few European manufacturers who might do the phone: bq, Geeksphone, Alcatel, Archos...
But the OEM I really want to make the next Jolla phone is Sharp. Their Aquos Mini series are pure delight.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hariainm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by itdoesntmatt View Post
i know that,but i dont care of america, the plus worth for european citizen is to have a producer in europe with guarantee of privacy laws and without nsa scroogle
you would be [crazy] to think your data is any more secure from government interception in europe than it is in america.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
you would be [crazy] to think your data is any more secure from government interception in europe than it is in america.
Yeah. I think the only shot of privacy on the internet today would be Tor + Tails, with no accounts for anything. Sad times.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to From Vertu with Love For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Keep it on-topic please peeps...

Originally Posted by Hariainm View Post
There's still a few European manufacturers who might do the phone: bq, Geeksphone, Alcatel, Archos...
But the OEM I really want to make the next Jolla phone is Sharp. Their Aquos Mini series are pure delight.
Chances of any of those doing it are close to nil, I'd say. Only European OEMs that are likely are the Finnish VSenn & Finnish/Spanish Puzzlephone. Vsenn, unless they have big undisclosed backers, are almost certainly going to bomb, so it doesn't really matter. Puzzlephone although another tiny fish in a game which necessitates size and scale (modular phones) have cobbled together a small alliance of companies, and are now using a Samsung funded and ARM backed platform as the core of their modularity concept, so they do stand a small chance. But still it'd do nothing for Jolla's bottom line in the short term.

As far as China is concerned, I guess as part of Intel's lobbying / marketing drive, a few very low volume Atom based phones might have basic SFOS support / compatibility, and Jolla might produce their own branded version. This wouldn't really move the company forward though.

The only significant win I can see for Jolla that's even remotely possible is BBK's hipster brand (OnePlus) paying Jolla to maintain an optional Sailfish ROM for their phone(s), as it would further their 'alternative' branding and product image.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2015-04-24 at 19:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post: