Posts: 13 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Wakefield, UK
So I recently lost my N900, and the insurance company say they can't get me another one to replace it with. I'm gutted tbh, loved the phone. Especially the ample storage and large amount of video and audio codecs. The phones I've been offered are:
  • HTC Desire
  • HTC HD2
  • Blackberry 9700 bold 2
  • and the Sony Erikson x10 experia
I've looked at those phones and they all seem to fall well short in some way on the N900, however the terms of my insurance state

Should Your original Telephone no longer be available, the Insurer will replace it with the nearest functionally equivalent model.

They are open to suggestions, and I reckon they'll give me a more expensive phone, to a degree, if I moan enough.

So what does everyone think the nearest functionally equivalent phone would be? What would you get if you had to replace your N900? I really don't know enough about phones myself to even know which brands / makes etc. to start looking at

Most of the mentioned phones are giants. they're pretty bulky in the pocket. But if you ask me I would select the one with the android OS. That should be the OS with the nearest functionality to maemo as of the moment. Although it's really not near at all. Maybe it has 50% of the functionality of maemo.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
I would get whatever is the most expensive, sell it brand-new sealed on ebay, then try and buy an N900 with the money.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 97 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Paris
Yep guess too that you should pick the Desire, it'll be the lesss boring after a N900....

Posts: 309 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Malaysia
dell streak?lol...

The N900 is no longer available?! Gotta love those insurance companies...

+1 to the "most expensive phone, sell on Ebay, buy new N900" idea above.

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Wakefield, UK
Yea I'm thinking about the ebay thing too, although I've told the insurance company the phones they offered aren't good enough (and why) and that I feel the nearest functionally equivalent phone is the HTC Desire HD! All of a sudden they think they might be able to get me a N900 after all! So hopefully I wont need to go the ebay route!

I third the Ebay route. Hope your insurance company gets its act together.

Hmm... Tell your insurance company to http://www.nokia.co.uk/find-products...#/main/landing off

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
The ebay idea is certainly the best. However, if I absolutely had to choose I would get the HTC HD2 and put Android on it.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.