Notices

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Portugal
Originally Posted by vnguyen972 View Post
ah.. really.. so how come it won't even come up if i have flash disabled (on the home page)... I'll post my screenshot when i got home... i know i don't have to use webot but it just bothers me that I am the only one that couldn't use it :-)

i have exactly the same problem!

not able to get to webot.com or not able to log in and getting a flash version error message

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Portugal
i fixed my problem. I messed around with the general.useragent.override in the about:config .

it was blank and now i just updated it with the value it had before and everything works fine again.

... and what is the value that it had before? it doesn't seem to have a "reset" option...

Cool app! I'm hoping to get this working since I like the interface. I haven't tried Orb yet.

For those of you who are streaming mp3s with Webot, what's the average buffer time until it starts playing? I see one user reports 4 minutes. Maybe I just didn't wait long enough, but if 4 minutes is average, I see less use in this application. When I select a song, it scrolls "LOADING..." and that's all it does.

I also tested it on the Webot host PC, and it plays songs fine. The N800 is on the same network (no firewall/router between devices). I'm running OS2008.

Originally Posted by raynman View Post
For those of you who are streaming mp3s with Webot, what's the average buffer time until it starts playing? I see one user reports 4 minutes. Maybe I just didn't wait long enough, but if 4 minutes is average, I see less use in this application. When I select a song, it scrolls "LOADING..." and that's all it does.

I also tested it on the Webot host PC, and it plays songs fine. The N800 is on the same network (no firewall/router between devices). I'm running OS2008.
I think it was caused by multiple network interfaces on my Bot PC. I noticed in the WeBot config page that my Bot had a strange IP. This was one of my VMWare VMs. I disabled that interface and restarted the Bot, then it grabbed my VPN one. I disabled that one, restarted the Bot and it grabbed my online X-drive IP. I disabled that, then it worked. Audio started streaming almost immediately (note that this is over a LAN). I'm not sure if it would've worked under any of those other interfaces, but I imagine I'll find out as soon as I need those interfaces back!

How about an option in the Bot software to choose an interface to listen on? Thanks!

yep, it's near instantaneous over a fast LAN, a little slower,like 2 or 3 seconds over my chumpy home dsl.

Thanks for making all that effort Ray. That's a good suggestion which I'll forward to the product powers that be.

Last edited by watadoo; 2008-01-20 at 16:49.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by vnguyen972 View Post
... and what is the value that it {general.useragent.override} had before? it doesn't seem to have a "reset" option...
vnguyen972, if this is still a problem, take a look at bradfarris' post here: http://tinyurl.com/34g839

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Long Island
Webot looks good, but in my case it is a battery killer. CPU is pegged while playing an MP3.

In comparison, when playing a mp3 from the flash with the default player, it shows hardly any cpu usage at all.

There shouldn't have been any cpu spike while streaming. Had you just installed your bot and it was indexing your music and photo collections? That action does use some CPU -- typically 40-65% with some spikes. You can minimize this by right clicking on the bot in your systray and choosing "about Webot." a panel will pop up with general info about your bot and its status with a control slider to minimize or maximize the amount of processor juice it uses when indexing -- if you have a large collection you may wish to turn it way down while you're on your box doing other tasks and then crank it up at night or at times when you're away from your pc and it's just idling.

btw, this indexing happens just one time, so once its done you should have no more cpu problems.