I keep hearing about transmission. what is it and what does it enable you to do. Do you need other programs with it in order to work?

Would like someone to explain it to me. Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by chicoelnino View Post
I keep hearing about transmission. what is it and what does it enable you to do. Do you need other programs with it in order to work?

Would like someone to explain it to me. Thanks in advance.
It's a bittorrent client.

Originally Posted by texaslabrat View Post
It's a bittorrent client.
ok i've used bittorrents before. So I install transmission from where? and then I can download b-torrents to my device via transmission?

ok i've used bittorrents before. So I install transmission from where? and then I can download b-torrents to my device via transmission?
It's in extras testing. and yes, just like you would do via utorrent on a windows pc

Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
It's in extras testing. and yes, just like you would do via utorrent on a windows pc
Ok, thanks.

Would it not make more sense to just download the torrent file(movie, song etc) onto your pc and then transfer it over the N900??

Ok, thanks.

Would it not make more sense to just download the torrent file(movie, song etc) onto your pc and then transfer it over the N900??
A lot of things that the N900 is capable of doing make more sense to use your PC to do instead, but that requires that you have your PC available at the time. The whole point of the N900 is that it allows you to do those things when you don't have access to your PC

I'd consider it a better idea, yes. Transmission is good, mimimalist BT client though. I mean, you could download stuff onto your N900 if you absolutely had to and then transfer it to your PC. I would only suggest using BT over wifi - doing it over cell data, even 3G, may go over your rate limit (even for "unlimited" ) plans.

What I'd look into doing is finding a client that has a webUI that you could connect to back on your home PCs (I think uTorrent can do this but its closed source and I don't trust non-FOSS programs for torrents due to the sensitive nature of the protocol and what is sometimes transferred over it. Try Vuze?) and you can control it from your N900 instead. Much less resource heavy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellipsys For This Useful Post:
[QUOTE=Ellipsys;474852]I'd consider it a better idea, yes. Transmission is good, mimimalist BT client though. I mean, you could download stuff onto your N900 if you absolutely had to and then transfer it to your PC. I would only suggest using BT over wifi - doing it over cell data, even 3G, may go over your rate limit (even for "unlimited" ) plans.

What I'd look into doing is finding a client that has a webUI that you could connect to back on your home PCs (I think uTorrent can do this but its closed source and I don't trust non-FOSS programs for torrents due to the sensitive nature of the protocol and what is sometimes transferred over it. Try Vuze?) and you can control it from your N900 instead. Much less resource heavy.[/QUOTE

You mean use Vuze on the N900 instead of transmission?

Oh no. I mean, it COULD be done, but Vuze is a heavy resource using Java program. If someone made a special N900 version though it would be cool.

If you want to control BitTorrent and download stuff with your N900, but not TO your N900, you wouldn't have to have ANY torrent client on your N900. For instance, you set up your home server box or main PC with Vuze/Transmission/Deluge etc.. any client with a WebUI. The WebUI spawns a webpage administration server that will control the torrent client. Then you use your N900's browser to connect to the admin webpage and say, point it at Torrent files to download and where to put their contents. You could do it all from your N900's browser!

Now, if you wanted to download TO the N900 itself, that's something different.

Posts: 374 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
When I would like to add Transmission icon to my desktop, it does not appear in the application list. :-(