Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Jaffa View Post
But this'll never be the forum for them; and us discussing them comparatively with Nokia's Maemo devices is consistent with the people, tone and name of the forum.
I don't think that anchoring this site permanently to a company that has abandoned us is a recipe for longevity.

This site has long had a 'psychological' problem that anyone who didn't prefer the Nokia device at hand waas treated as an enemy. I would like to see the abolishment of the enemies list.

There are threads now that focus on non-Nokia products. I think they should be encouraged. I suspect that Webos is going to be the destination of many Nokia refugees. They should have a refugee camp here.

InternetTabletTalk would not compete with sites dedicated to some company. It would be dedicated to the best, wherever it comes from.

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Hold yer horses, folks, let's not jump into conclusions just yet.

I would suggest that a nice, civilized letter should be written to the community infrastructure people on the Nokia side and ask for clarification if there is a change in stance, funding of technical parameters. Note that as the Nokia CEO said, most Nokia employees were completely unaware of the strategic choice made the other day, so even if there are changes (which are by no means a given, on the contrary), it will take a while until they trickle down to an operational level. Note #2 that for Nokia, maemo.org was already on life-support, as the focus shifted to meego.com (so not THAT different in terms the focus being shifted again).

In another food-for-though initiative, I would look at what the 2011 meego device really is when it will be formally announced, and maybe try to figure out if it and the enthusiast crowd it targets can be somehow be some source of synergy for the current maemo.org.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
I would not trust assurances from anyone at Nokia and I think a just-in-case fund would be a wise precaution.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I would not trust assurances from anyone at Nokia and I think a just-in-case fund would be a wise precaution.
Yes, i concur in that. Another way on top of donations could be to allow some ads. Don't need to be anything special. Maybe just some Google ads.

As long as we are funded by Nokia we do not need to discuss a name change. It could however become a later issue.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

The Following User Says Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
InternetTabletTalk would not compete with sites dedicated to some company. It would be dedicated to the best, wherever it comes from.
When you say site, what exactly do you mean ? While the forum is the loudest and perhaps most visible aspect of maemo.org, it's just the tip of the iceberg. Companies that you hope to see support from were the ones that made sure maemo.org is treated as a stepchild from a previous marriage and the reason why there was/is no migration path to meego.com.

I'll be blunt. If Nokia pulls the plug without notice, we're dead. Unless, as stated above, you are interested in just a forum, which can indeed continue on a donations basis. The rest of maemo.org is, however, way too big/expensive to bear without major backing.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
When you say site, what exactly do you mean ? While the forum is the loudest and perhaps most visible aspect of maemo.org, it's just the tip of the iceberg. Companies that you hope to see support from were the ones that made sure maemo.org is treated as a stepchild from a previous marriage and the reason why there was/is no migration path to meego.com.

I'll be blunt. If Nokia pulls the plug without notice, we're dead. Unless, as stated above, you are interested in just a forum, which can indeed continue on a donations basis. The rest of maemo.org is, however, way too big/expensive to bear without major backing.
So what is needed? A forum, wiki, servers for the repository and a place to report bugs and development. You are probably right when you say that we in current state would not afford TMO. But couldn't we find a better working solution by downsizing and thus also cut the costs?

It could also be made so it would be easier to participate. It is not that i do not like TMO. It is great! But sometimes it can be a bit advanced for a casual user to get around.

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Who owns the maemo trademark? Has Nokia given it to the community? If not, when they decide to de-fund the site, we'd have to change names anyhow.

Given that maemo was put on life support to move funding to meego, I'm guessing that the plug will be pulled for maemo as meego is moved to life support. Frankly, I don't see how we can count on continued funding from Nokia, no matter what prior assurances Nokia has given us. After all we were all pretty sure Nokia wouldn't partner with MS, right?

Really, shouldn't the council start exploring alternatives? Surely, it couldn't hurt to have a plan B in place if the unthinkable happened could it? Aren't there already some people who are mirroring the repository?

It couldn't hurt to have the council facilitate exploring some alternatives, including facilitating the organization of volunteers to mirror parts of the site, etc. Or perhaps they'd rather facilitate everyone leaving and making sure the lights get turned off when they leave.

It wouldn't hurt to be prepared rather than be caught off guard.

Last edited by lemmyslender; 2011-02-14 at 00:42.

I admit that I'm mainly thinking in terms of forums.

If the rest will be dead without Nokia, well, "It's a good day to die," as they say. Lie down with lions and get up with fleas.

I don't remember having seen an accounting of what costs what.

I still think Intel could be interested in continuing to fight for MeeGo and sponsoring this site might be part of the deal.

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Who owns the maemo trademark? Has Nokia given it to the community? If not, when they decide to de-fund the site, we'd have to change names anyhow.
Nokia owns the Maemo trademark, but has permitted the community to use it. They own the domain name too. There were suggestions to transfer it to the community, but it hasn't happened and I don't know why.

Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Really, shouldn't the council start exploring alternatives? Surely, it couldn't hurt to have a plan B in place if the unthinkable happened could it? Aren't there already some people who are mirroring the repository?

It couldn't hurt to have the council facilitate exploring some alternatives, including facilitating the organization of volunteers to mirror parts of the site, etc. Or perhaps they'd rather facilitate everyone leaving and making sure the lights get turned off when they leave.

It wouldn't hurt to be prepared rather than be caught off guard.
Good questions. It was already suggested to mirror the repositories, but it was not on the presumption, I believe, that Nokia would give sufficient advance notice if that was necessary.

Posts: 2,535 | Thanked: 6,681 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ UK
I admit that I'm mainly thinking in terms of forums.

If the rest will be dead without Nokia, well, "It's a good day to die," as they say. Lie down with lions and get up with fleas.
So you don't want to be able to download software for you device, have developers the power of the auto-builder, the Community SSU, or the version control systems under garage which many people use? If you just want to keep the forum, it'll become a talking shop and - to be frank - shows you don't understand the value that the rest of maemo.org gives you and others.

I don't remember having seen an accounting of what costs what.
Indeed, and finding the details of the various costings is a requirement to know what viable options exist. As Attila says above, this is one of the things the Council needs to do.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jaffa For This Useful Post:

Tags
can someone, elopcalypse, unplug him