Banned | Posts: 206 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vancouver
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Looks like the ignorant are out in force tonight.
so are the delusional.

Originally Posted by ZShakespeare View Post
so are the delusional.
Yay, another terrible thread filled with people who can do nothing but insult others for what they do. Please, this thread is wonderful. More ignorance, lies, and insults directed towards other people are desperately needed.

you started it bro. hate to say.

you started it bro. hate to say.
I criticized his point. You came along with a bunch of ignorant nonsense where you attacked the efforts of other people.

you called me ignorant. Show me one sucessful open source product that is a commercial sucess, and isn't half finished. Just one.

you called me ignorant. Show me one sucessful open source product that is a commercial sucess, and isn't half finished. Just one.
Why does it have to be commercial? Does something only have value if you pay for it?

How about GCC? MySQL? Numerous and sundry content management systems? Qt?

Define half finished? Do you define "finished" as being something like Windows, where it's never actually finished but simply has HUGE gaps between updates? Or OS X, which is similar?

They're probably fueled up by their company release party.

Why does it have to be commercial? Does something only have value if you pay for it?

How about GCC? MySQL? Numerous and sundry content management systems? Qt?

Define half finished? Do you define "finished" as being something like Windows, where it's never actually finished but simply has HUGE gaps between updates? Or OS X, which is similar?
I define finished as a product that works completely as advertised and has all the features, advantages, and benefits of a similar product in the market.

To be fair GCC and MySQL (while unfortunately not as sucessful as oracle) are excellent products, but we're talking about a consumer grade electronics here not server room software choice.

Oh come the **** on man, your insistence constantly that those of us who don't hate the device are somehow abused and suffering from some mental illness is pretty goddamn pathetic. Nokia's handling of Maemo has been bad, but then we look at MeeGo which won't suffer from having things like a closed media players. I knew the device wasn't 100% open when I bought it, but it sure as hell was nicer than Android, which keeps you bottled up into a nonstandard Java sandbox. And with MeeGo, everything comes from upstream so you aren't reinventing the wheel or running something so horribly branched that it isn't compatible with the project it came from.

Drivers are the result of software patent BS and a closed mentality driven by Microsoft for years. Fortunately this is changing, but video chip companies (and Broadcom, for some reason) keep fighting it.
Since there are already similar or even better choices its a classic example of too little, too late.

That you can't take advantage of it is no reason to dismiss the concept.
There isn't much to take advantage of when I can get the same somewhere else for a bit more money and alot less hassle. Its the same reason I would purchase a car instead of collecting junk from the scrapheap and trying to make one myself.

Come on man, **** on us some more. Bring up more piss poor arguments. Some people like the fact that their software vendor can't hold them hostage.
I'm merely sharing what I have learned from experience and observation of both experience and statistics. In the real world consumers use predominantly Windows and OSX.

Are you a psychologist? Can you identify "Stockholm syndrome" or are you just saying that because you have access to Wikipedia.
Medicine student, the psychiatry lecture on the syndrome which my professor gave was quite fascinating.

The people who promote open source tend to be involved in the industry. They may not drop down into the code of every program they use, but they do see the advantages of having what is effectively a transparent system.
Like alot of things, the N900 and communism to name a few, it may seem good in theory, but in practice it plays out quite different.

Many developers are paid quite well to work on open source. Most kernel contributors these days are paid to work on it. Suggesting that by being open source you are fundamentally incapable of earning money, and that the only way is to be closed source, is the height of ignorance.
They get paid to work until someone else completes their work for free!

If they are working toward getting money for what they develop and therefor gain more ground in the market, they are no better than the big bad closed corporations, only smaller and envious of the other teams' success.

Consumer grade electronics: Asus WL-500G running Linux. Popcorn Hour A100. And Nokia N810. Each top products in their markets. Oh, and each capable of running MySQL.

Tags
foolish noobs, ignorance, it's h3lldick!, religious wars, trolling, worstthreadever