Notices

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2008 @ New York
I posted this topic in the new tablet scene forum, but was told I would find out more information posting on ITT

I have been itching to purchase the N810 ever since I first saw it. I started to mess around with linux ( installed ubuntu on an old g4) I was finally going to pull the trigger on an N810 last week, that was until my brother came home with an ipod touch. I was messing around with it and installed the free vnc app. It ran very slow, but overall it was not too bad. My question is, is there any real difference between Vnc viewer and Rdesktop? I have a hunch that there are major differences in these two n810 applications. Is there anyway special way to set up my n810 to view my mac desktop somewhat quickly?

Posts: 480 | Thanked: 378 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Chicago-ish
VNC and rdesktop use two completely different protocols. They are different applications, with different purposes. For viewing your Mac, I would use VNC. I believe there's a VNC server built into OS X, and the VNC viewer runs pretty quickly on my n800 (so it should run fine on your n810).

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to TrueJournals For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
There are a few solutions.

VNC is unencrypted, and creates a lot of data, but is platform agostic. You can set it up in Ubuntu by logging in and going to System, Preferences, Remote Desktop. Then you must make sure "allow other users to view desktop" is enabled. Read the other suggestions and instructions. On your N8x0, you install vncviewer. The command to issue on the N8x0 is given by the Ubuntu's Remote Desktop configuration utility.

RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) is Microsoft proprietary protocol, but fast. It doesn't create as much data as VNC. It also supports encryption. I suggest this option, but it isn't easy to set up. For a *NIX implementation of RDP server see xrdp. For client on N8x0 there is rdesktop (GUI) in the /extras repository, and there is a 3rd party command line one. There is also PyRdesktop you can find this by searching for the thread on ItT forums.

NX (NoMachine) is also proprietary protocol, uses X compression techniques and SSH. Secure and fast. Again, not easy to set up. I don't think the NX server is available for Linux/PPC, but you check this out on nomachine.com and if it isn't there you can try FreeNX which is a free/open implementation of the server. For the NX client, the QTNX client is being ported, and also there is an older port of the official NX client available too. This is probably the future of remote computing for *NIX.

Last edited by allnameswereout; 2008-08-12 at 15:07.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
From someone not so technical.

I like using both, and they ate pretty fast (I find the connection is what limits the speed). Rdesktop is nice because it rescales the screen to the N810 size. But VNC allows you to share the desktop.

My 2 cents

Originally Posted by salomc View Post
From someone not so technical.

I like using both, and they ate pretty fast (I find the connection is what limits the speed). Rdesktop is nice because it rescales the screen to the N810 size. But VNC allows you to share the desktop.

My 2 cents
X2. If I'm at work and I need something from home, I use Rdesktop. If I'm at home, I'll use VNC viewer as a remote control for things like Windows Media Player.

Posts: 868 | Thanked: 474 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Capital District, NY, USA
x11vnc is broken in Diablo if you don't have chinook repos or have previously installed libssl.0.9.7

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
qtnx is available for N810 now! :-D

The Following User Says Thank You to maacruz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Yup, it is. And Nomachine will release a web client in version 4.0.

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
It has a problem, though. I'm unable to enter any symbol or number. The FN key doesn't work inside the nx desktop.

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ New York, NY
I came up with a workaround to install x11vnc on Diablo.

As root in xterm run:
ln -s /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8 /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.7

Then install x11vnc from:
http://home.att.net/~hpk/x11vnc_0.9....ablo_armel.deb

The Following User Says Thank You to bluechalk For This Useful Post: