Posts: 833 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Based in the USA
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
<snip>
  • Bugs in bugzilla seem to get real treatment now.
  • Applications move to the "Extras"-repository.
  • The Wiki is suddenly useful.
  • Activities in the community are documented and announced in a transparent way.
<snip>
These things are improving, possibly, but need to be taken into context of the alternative.
When I got my N810 a year ago I wanted a shirt pocket computer that with tweaking I could make function as a PDA.
With AbiWord, Gnumeric, Claws-Mail and a suite of smaller tools (OTG!!!) it's great. These all came from the community. Unix scripts to to a number of functions came from seamless ports.
However I researched the N810 vs alternatives and KNEW what I was getting into. I figured I would not have a seamless PIM with a great GPS, two way video Skype with a PC, able to control my PS3. These are still hopes.
So - things have improved. If I used to wake up and bash my head with a 4X4 to get things started, I would now be bashing my head with a 2x2.
Of course if I had a similarly sized Windoze machine maybe I would not be bashing my head.

The "joy of owning the device" is there but still could be improved.

Also - "so if you have a question, you need to put it at the bottom of a bottomless pit of messages. " I find this VERY useful if the peeps could do it. That way when I click on a thread and view last post I can be up to date with hopefully less repetition.
PLEASE use the Wiki

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Had to reinstall today. I saw various updates on the OS2008 user site. Nokia even advertises for Xohm on the Tableteer applet. Which was how I found out about the OS2008 user site being updated in the first place.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I agree about the endless-thread problem here.

I would love to see thread starters build and maintain FAQs, and I guess I should say that the FAQs should be posted to the maemo.org wiki so that GA doesn't growl at me.

I'm thinking of posting a blog entry with some choice ITt bits that I've found. This will show up in Planet Maemo and point people to the stuff here that I find coolest. I'm trying to figure out a way to deal with people posting links to nifty stuff here and on #maemo, which often get lost in the posts.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Thanks for the good feedback, noted also the rest.

Hopefully the community activity will just increase, both in volume and complexity. We think Fremantle & Harmattan will bring new generations of potential community contributors to maemo.org and Nokia itself is putting more flesh (and more critical to the platform development) also on the community side.

This is why now it's a good time to define the collaboration infrastructure of your dreams. Then we'll see whether we all are able to put it in place and make it work. Garage, wiki and mailing lists are a good starting point but not enough.

ITt itself fills a crucial gap and hopefully it will be more and better integrated to maemo.org