Posts: 1,091 | Thanked: 323 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ ~
3.5", Resistive, QWERTY, On/Off switch(should have choosen Hotkeys only, whatever that means), 21:9
That would be great. And Blu-ray support, so we can actually use the 21:9 screen

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Nokia has patented such a thing. Although the layer order might be reversed-- I don't remember.
Reversed order seems likely. Resistive screens have two layers that need to be pushed together by pressure. Capacitive glass layer propably doesn't have have enough elasticity to sit on top.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
oh wow!
did you had a bad day?
No, just sick and tired of people whining about this specific matter - they will want the uber-ultimate cell phone with a full HD 10 inch capacitive screen, with 5TB of internal storage and the ability to create purple space horses in a click of a button - but when someone actually makes this device, they start whining about that it's too expansive... (there's no "facepalm" smiley in the smiley list on the right, so imagine I put one here).

Nokia has patented such a thing. Although the layer order might be reversed-- I don't remember.
Not Nokia's, but still exists
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...tive_touch.php

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
What do you want to bet, the device that comes out of this is 3.5" screen, capacitive, standard keypad, hot key only, 16x9? (dead center of the good zone)
BTW this is also possible to get the green spot:

4" resistive, 16:9 screen, qwerty keyboard without secondary buttons... RUNNING MEEGO!!!!
and this post claryfies that
4.5-inch is currently the most popular choice but it’s closely followed by 4-inch. The display itself is universally 16:9 capacitive and the option of a QWERTY keyboard is also very popular. Of course, all that could change over the next few days.

Last edited by zehjotkah; 2010-03-20 at 22:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by efekt View Post

Not Nokia's, but still exists
http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/news/...tive_touch.php
That resistive multitouch screen, not fusion of resistive and capacitive which was discussed on your quote.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Capacitive glass layer propably doesn't have have enough elasticity to sit on top.
There have been resistive glass touch screens in the past, even in commercial PDAs, but yes, sensitivity sucked.

Posts: 156 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Scotland
http://conversations.nokia.com/design-by-community/

this is a very interesting marketing tool as it forces you to design a new unit, to a budget, and prioritise what you feel is important. It will give Nokia - and anyone else who sees the results - a really good idea of what is actually important to users - not just the constant whining that the most recent must have is missing. - Choose wisely!

it pushes you into a position were you have to decide on what is actually important rather than just saying you want "blah blah blah" - inset perfect design specs regardless of cost

very clever piece of research!

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
BTW this is also possible to get the green spot:

and this post claryfies that
Yes, which is what I voted for, of course according to Nokia, that is almost way out there!

My complaint, which everyone seems to have missed, is not that I can't design a super duper mega deluxe ultra, expensive phone that I wouldn't buy anyway ,)

It is that Nokia gave us a great big sandbox to play in for "Design by Community", then cordoned off a small area in the middle that Nokia is comfortable with as acceptable. If they were really looking for a "new" way to go based on community input, they'd ahve allowed submissions outside the good range, just to see.

The link to the article proves it. They were shocked that anybody would want one of the bigger screens! I seriously doubt that capacitive was "universal", leading by a very large margin, yes, universal no. As we know, the next Maemo/MaeMeeGo/MeeGo device is going to be capacitive multi touch. It would reflect badly on the design dept if capacitive won by anything less than a "universal" landslide

Typed on my $199+$199+$199 US bought N900

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I guess by definition no one wants an iPad or Kindle.

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ T.M.O
Sounds similar to a patent by RIM?

http://gizmodo.com/5330514/rim-paten...sistive-screen